The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Mineral Lick (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/mineral-lick-2531/)

Gus_Belle 07-13-2007 12:57 AM

Mineral Lick

How do I know when my horse is getting too much salt? He sweats alot. I was told by one person that they won't get too much and another that that's why he sweats so much.

Frog 07-13-2007 04:35 AM

If you supply a salt/mineral lick then they will only have as much as they need.

If he sweats a lot then he probably needs more, salt/electrolytes
Cheers
:D

DesertGal 07-13-2007 05:27 PM

Some horses sweat more than others, just as some people sweat more than others.

I have a plain white salt block, as well as a red mineral/salt block. The horse knows when he/she needs salt and minerals and will lick what they need. Sometimes they don't lick enough, but I've never heard of them licking too much. If the horse bites off chunks, then maybe... If that is the case, I would measure out some salt and give it to the horse in the feed.

Sometimes, if the hay, and soil are defecient in certain minerals the horse will lick the mineral block trying to get enough minerals, and maybe in that way also get too much salt...? I don't know. That is why I have both blocks. Plus I give vitamin and mineral supplements in Christy's food. Our soil is selenium poor, among other things, as is the area where her hay is grown. The red mineral blocks only contain traces of minerals. It's meant as a little extra mineral only, not necessarly as a supplement.

Don't know if this will help.

BTW, Christy sweats a lot! Then again, she is in a very hot desert! She drinks lots of water, licks her salt block, and pees a lot! LOL!

Gus_Belle 07-14-2007 12:49 PM

YES!! That help a lot! I have the red mineral block and I also feed vigortone mineral supplement. He's not biting chunks. It is quite likely that our soil is deficient. Did you find out about the selenium through a soil test? We are going to take a sample to the soils dpmt at MSU soon.

Thank you both so much!!

DesertGal 07-14-2007 08:52 PM

Quote:

Did you find out about the selenium through a soil test?
Actually the vet told me. He also asked where I bought my hay, and said that the soil was poor in selenium there as well, so there wouldn't be any in the hay either. He suggested a suppliment. I got Horse Guard, and Christy loves it. :D

Eventer Gal 07-23-2007 07:42 PM

Yep sounds right to me :)