The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Is there hope? Possible EPM horse. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/there-hope-possible-epm-horse-253266/)

FaceTheMusic 08-11-2013 04:33 AM

Is there hope? Possible EPM horse.

My gelding has recently developed neurological symptoms. The vet suspects EPM. We should have the test results soon. My vet seems less than hopeful that Sunny will get any better. He is severely ataxic(drunk acting) but still seems alert and comfortable. He hasn't lost any weight and still acts like himself. I'm trying to remain hopeful but I am worried. I want to do everything I can to help him.

Has anyone had experience with EPM? What treatments work or don't work for most cases? What about a misdiagnosis? Has anyone had a good outcome? I'd like to hear everyone's stories.

Thank you all for any advice you might be able to share.

Incitatus32 08-11-2013 05:36 AM

Never had to deal with EPM but if it's any small comfort we had a horse that had severe potomac (he was down and couldn't get up, then we he did had the 'drunk walk' going on). The vet gave him less then 5% chance of coming out of it alive and with little side effects and after a long haul of IV antibiotics he popped up just fine with no neurological damage like the vets predicted.

Keeping you guys in my thoughts and hope he gets better!

FaceTheMusic 08-11-2013 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incitatus32 (Post 3318050)
Never had to deal with EPM but if it's any small comfort we had a horse that had severe potomac (he was down and couldn't get up, then we he did had the 'drunk walk' going on). The vet gave him less then 5% chance of coming out of it alive and with little side effects and after a long haul of IV antibiotics he popped up just fine with no neurological damage like the vets predicted.

Keeping you guys in my thoughts and hope he gets better!

That is definitely comforting. Thank you.

gssw5 08-11-2013 09:41 AM

I have heard of horses surviving EPM without treatment, and came out just fine. I know it is hard to wait and watch but hopefully the vet will be able to help with the symptoms.