The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Jumping :) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/jumping-25344/)

Vicizmax 04-02-2009 04:14 PM

Jumping :)

Here's two videos from my jumping lessons on Indy!
The january one is with my "old" trainer and the March one is with my new trainer..! Please critique both videos..! I have a competition on sunday, so it would be nice to get some advice and stuff.. :)

January: Januar: Spring på Indy - HesteGalleri.dk
March: Marts: Indy - HesteGalleri.dk

equineeventer3390 04-02-2009 09:46 PM

Im not really good at critiquing from videos but I see 1 really big thing.
your catching you horse in the mouth really bad over the jump. In alot of them you seem to be getting left behind and your catching him in the mouth.
The ones where you didnt get left behind, it still seems like you have a tight hold on his mouth. it doesnt really look like your hands are moving any. push your hands forward up his neck about half way, or a little less since their only x-rails.

draftlover215 04-03-2009 01:59 AM

Okay, in the first video I noticed that you do not have much of a release on your horse. You want to give with your hands more over the fence. I'm not sure if he's a very strong horse where a crest release would be too much but definatly give him more of a release over the fences. Every once in a while it looks like you are leaning back a bit with your upper body, remember to keep a nice, straight line of shoulder, hip and heel.

Second video, now I see why you are trying to not release that much. He looks strong to the fences. Remember, you can hold him to the fence, release, and then bring him back to a hold. I like the look of your leg, shorten your stirrups another hole or two when jumping though and I think it'll look even better. Your horse is handsome! I had a horse who was very "hot" to the fences. I wound up doing some basic dressage work, teaching him to collect, give to the bit, teaching him to respond to half-halts, and he improved immensly over fences, so if you can I would definatly do that with him. You'll be amazed how once he understands what a half-halt is how you'll be soooo much more in control when jumping.

Honestly, I think if you just give more of a release over the fence you'll look a lot better. =) Good luck this Sunday!! Let us know how you do. What division are you showing in?

Tayz 04-03-2009 03:49 AM

You looked great, but I'm no expert :D I just wanted to say Goodluck with your show :D

Equuestriaan 04-03-2009 07:36 AM

Ooh I'm glad to see new videos of you and Indy. No critique from me... you two make a great team and are inspiring to watch!

Vicizmax 04-03-2009 09:41 AM

Thanks very much to all of you! :D
I'll work on those releases, I do realize I have some trouble with them sometimes, probably because I'm scared I'll release too much and not have enough time to hold him back again or something.. :/

And thanks for the luck, I'm starting in an 80 and 90 cm. class!
I sure will try to get a video of it in here ;)

Spyder 04-03-2009 09:53 AM

You and that horse need to go back to the basics of jumping.

You both need gridwork and I am surprised that your coach hasn't either seen this or is working on poles in front and after the jumps.

Vicizmax 04-03-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder (Post 282028)
You and that horse need to go back to the basics of jumping.

You both need gridwork and I am surprised that your coach hasn't either seen this or is working on poles in front and after the jumps.

Please say what it is that looks so wrong to you in our jumping.. Like reasons why you think that :)

Equuestriaan 04-03-2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicizmax (Post 282025)
Thanks very much to all of you! :D
I'll work on those releases, I do realize I have some trouble with them sometimes, probably because I'm scared I'll release too much and not have enough time to hold him back again or something.. :/

I totally know what you mean. Sometimes if there's a tight turn or my horse is going quick, I'm afraid to over-release and lose all my control. xD

JustDressageIt 04-03-2009 11:46 AM

The one thing that stood out to me most besides the releases was your leg - it swings forwards before and after the jump, so you end up like a waterskiier on your horse, pulling on his mouth and bracing with your entire leg.
I would suggest going on the flat, and holding your two-point without touching your horse's neck at all - you can hover your hands, or put them on your hips, or out to the side, whatever you need, but really work on keeping that lower leg back and planted under you. Once you can do this and hold it for a few times around the ring, try a trot. Once you're good with the trot, do some walk-trot transitions. Once you can stay in your two point through walk-trot transitions without falling backwards or forwards no matter what your horse does under you, introduce the canter, then transition backwards and forwards through all gaits, including halt.
Then go back to some ground pole work, and work lightly over crossrails. Work on your release over the poles and cross-rails. Most of your riding should be coming through your seat and legs, the hand is just there as a tuning guide.
If you could have your instructor lunge your horse with you on, I think that could greatly benefit your position.
You are a very brave, confident rider which is wonderful, and I think if you really put your mind to it, you could be a great rider :)

This is the leg position you want:
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/960/31776.JPG