The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Looking to buy...sway back or just high withers ??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/looking-buy-sway-back-just-high-253641/)

Saskhorse849 08-11-2013 10:32 PM

Looking to buy...sway back or just high withers ???

1 Attachment(s)
I am looking at buying this 7 year old gelding. However the more I look at him the more I think he is sway back. I know he has extremely high withers so not sure if I am just over analyzing. Please help. Thanks!

Saskhorse849 08-11-2013 10:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another pic

Dreamcatcher Arabians 08-11-2013 10:43 PM

Looks kind of swayed to me. He could use some weight too, so it might not be as bad as it looks right now.

CLaPorte432 08-11-2013 10:45 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Definitely a sway back.

At 7 years old, either he has extremely poor conformation, or he was started under saddle very early.

A vet check would be an absolutely must.

Quite frankly, I would pass if I was looking to buy him. He would not suit my needs.

What do you want to do with him?

tinyliny 08-11-2013 10:47 PM

looks a bit swayed to me. look in front of his sacroilliac area, how it dips down. even if he were standing square, I think he'd have some sway. might not be a health issue, but could make saddle fit a problem.

Saskhorse849 08-12-2013 02:10 PM

His owners are a vet and a farrier. They said he is fine but he has trouble keeping weight on and not sure why. He hasn't been rode all summer but is very well broke he is a nice easy ride. Basically get on and go that is why I was looking at getting him. New to riding so looking at a horse I can trust.

DancingArabian 08-12-2013 02:15 PM

I would find it disconcerting that the owner is a VET and "doesn't know why" the horse is underweight. I would pass on him but that's just me. Be sure to get him thoroughly better by a neutral vet if you go forward with him.
Posted via Mobile Device

SouthernTrails 08-12-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 3328258)
I would find it disconcerting that the owner is a VET and "doesn't know why" the horse is underweight. I would pass on him but that's just me. Be sure to get him thoroughly better by a neutral vet if you go forward with him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agreed....

Lots of Horse for sale that may be in better condition, definitely a 2nd vet opinion.

Speed Racer 08-12-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saskhorse849 (Post 3328210)
New to riding so looking at a horse I can trust.

Oh sweetie, they know you're a noob so are looking to take advantage of you.

Pass on this horse. If he's truly 7 y/o with a sway that bad already, he's only going to get worse. Add on the fact he's a hard keeper and a VET supposedly can't tell what's wrong with him, and you're looking at a very expensive pasture pet.

It's not nice of people to take advantage of newbies, but you see it all the time. The right horse for you is out there, but it's not this one.

Elana 08-12-2013 03:06 PM

I would LOVE a photo of this horse's teeth. I wonder if he is more like 27.....