The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Jobs (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/)
-   -   Will Pay to Ride Your Horse near Winnipeg, Manitoba (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/will-pay-ride-your-horse-near-253673/)

marriere 08-11-2013 10:34 PM

Will Pay to Ride Your Horse near Winnipeg, Manitoba

I'm looking for someone around Winnipeg willing to let me ride their horses once in a while - for cash. The price is entirely negotiable but I'm willing to pay somewhere around $100 per month with at least one hour-long ride per week. The payment would be given at the beginning of each visit (roughly $25, depending what we settle as being fair payment) rather than in one monthly sum just in case either of us don't feel comfortable for whatever reason or our schedules don't mix well.

I'm an adult, I've had limited experience with horses (trail rides mostly with farm horses raised by family members) and I'd like to be more comfortable working with horses. It'd be a bonus if I could learn from or get lessons from someone who's had a lot of experience training (particularly 'natural horsemanship' or bareback riding) but I'd be willing to ride horses even if no one is around to mentor or supervise me. I'd even go horseback riding along with someone else if you've got land and feel like socializing with someone else who loves horses - I'm not fussy on how I get to go riding, I just want to be able to be around horses again.

I want to be able to groom, tack, and ride a horse. I'd even be willing to do some chores too if you feel my price is too low. I have absolutely no problem mucking stalls (horses, cows, whatever), cleaning chicken coops, feeding, checking fence, cleaning grain bins, painting, cutting grass, weeding, cleaning, etc. I'm not shy about working.

I'm willing to drive anywhere within an hour of Winnipeg. Please message me if you're interested or have any questions.

albertaeventer 08-12-2013 05:09 PM

To be honest your time and money would probably be better spent by seeking out a barn, ranch, or stable specializing in lessons. There are definitely lesson programs out there geared toward adults, so you won't have to worry about being embarrassed and stuck in a lesson full of little kids or anything like that. And most lessons nowadays include grooming, handling the horses, tacking up, general care, etc. You can even seek out a natural horsemanship focused program if that's something you'd like to get involved in.

The reason I say this is that if you want to get more involved in horses, you want to make you learn properly and SAFELY. Most lesson barns will have certified instructors, rules, guidelines, etc to provide a fun, positive and safe learning environment. And contracts, to protect them AND you as you're learning. They will have lesson horses that are safe and suitable for all levels of riders. Many lessons programs are available around the price that you're willing to pay as well.

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable at all going out to any old farm, with people you don't know from a hole in the wall, you don't know how much they really know horse-wise, and you don't know what their horses are like, if they're suitable for beginner riders even, what kind of tack or facilities they have, and if it's safe and everything is in working order. That is an incredible risk. Going and riding random horses when you yourself have limited experience is a recipe for disaster as well. First off, no knowledgeable horse person is going to have "just anyone" out to hop on their horses, and the ones who will, well let's just say there's almost always a good reason why people don't want to ride them themselves! What if you get bucked off or injured? What if you get yourself in over your head? Working with unsuitable horses is a good way to scare yourself and totally destroy your confidence. What if someone ends up taking advantage of you and your offer to "pay to ride/work"? There's so many things that could go awry.

Not to say that it would be totally impossible to find a good, safe learning situation like you described, but it won't be easy, and you will have to be EXTREMELY picky and patient, and it would be difficult to have such a discerning eye not having much horse experience to start with. You don't want to just jump on the first offer that comes along. Word of mouth would probably work best in these situations, finding someone to kind of take you under their wing and teach you as you go, sort of a "working student" type situation. Stuff like this is not advertised much, most times you just happen upon it. There are all sorts of people just looking to take advantage of any poor sap that offers to come and "ride" their horses though, that's the danger in advertising that you want to pay to ride/work.

I know not everyone is into the whole barn scene, but nowadays there are all sorts of barns out there that suit everyone's different needs and tastes. They're not all hoity toity shows barns or full of kids either. I know there are many barns in the Winnipeg area, so you should have plenty of options there if you do some research. If owning your own horse down the road is something you want to do, lessons are a great way to learn and get introduced to it slowly, without all the responsibility and cost associated with buying at first. Leasing is another great way to "try out" horses and horse ownership before jumping in as well. Then down the road, once you have a good knowledge base and know more specifically what you want, you can go from there. Once you get in with a barn, some may also offer to have you work in exchange for lessons. Full time or part time, you can often pick and choose the hours and make it work for you. So that's also an option to consider down the road, it's a great way to keep the cost down and you learn a LOT!

Good luck:)

marriere 08-12-2013 05:32 PM

I am looking into some of the barns around here too, I just thought I'd check to see if there was any interest here. I'm having a bit of trouble finding a barn that suits me so I just thought I'd try here. I need something that suits me and my pay check and schedule so I hope I can find something. Thanks for the advice!
Posted via Mobile Device

stevenson 08-12-2013 08:10 PM

is there a local craiglist for Manitoba ? Or major feed or tack store you could post a flier or advert in ? Maybe just search riding lessons. You may have to pay a little more than 25 per lesson, but if you got to ride twice a month it would be better than none. ;)

Saddlebag 08-12-2013 10:13 PM

Call Tuxedo stable in Wpg. It's south of the zoo. Marg Teske owns it. She may be able to steer you in the right direction. She's had some world class horses but there may be a border who'd be interested.

albertaeventer 08-13-2013 09:42 AM

Exploring your options is never a bad thing! You could try posting on kijiji too, or any local horse pages on facebook, check out the ad boards at tack and feed stores, ask around to any horse people you know as well. I know there's a lot of barns that do not do much actual advertising, so that perfect fit for you is probably out there, it may just take a little work to find. :-)