The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Whip or No Whip? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/whip-no-whip-25377/)

Tayz 04-03-2009 05:33 AM

Whip or No Whip?

Which do you prefer?

Using a whip to control the horse beneath you?
Or
Using natrual ways to get the horse going.

I personally believe that no horse deserve's being whipped. Sure, some people just give a small tap and stuff, I'm not criticising anyone who does use one. I just don't like whips....

What do you think?

(No Fighting over this topic, no answer is the right answer, it's your personal choice)

claireauriga 04-03-2009 06:15 AM

I think a crop is a perfectly acceptable means of giving leg aids where the rider is not able to give strong enough aids with their legs.

Angel_Leaguer 04-03-2009 09:59 AM

I personally dont use riding crops but if used properly I dont have a problem with people that do use them. I will throw a pair of spurs on if needed

Snaffle 04-03-2009 10:11 AM

I'm all for crops being used if the 'natural' way isn't working. I don't mean abusing the horse with it though.

wanderlust 04-03-2009 10:16 AM

It depends on the horse I am riding. I use it sparingly when I do carry it.

Xoras 04-05-2009 05:29 PM

At the moment I don't ride with a crop, but usually when I do, I give the horse a tap when they're being lazy and not doing what I ask.

I'm fine with people using them as long as they don't whack the horse or anything.

wild_spot 04-05-2009 07:05 PM

I've never ridden with whips or spurs. I'd rather go down the road of figuring out how to make my horse want to do what i want... I guess more the training side of things as opposed to the 'results, now!' side of things. My horse I have now was lazy as when i got him. It was simply a matter of teaching him that moving forward off a cluck and a squeeze was a lot easier.

Kianne 04-05-2009 09:25 PM

I've never used one, but i think if they are used properly then there fine.

xilikeggs0 04-06-2009 01:20 PM

I use a crop, but I don't like to. If I can avoid using it, I will. I refuse to wear spurs, though. It's all just personal preference.

mls 04-06-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tayz (Post 281965)
Using a whip to control the horse beneath you?
Or
Using natrual ways to get the horse going.

Used correctly - a whip (crop, bat) or spurs are used to reinforce the cue given by your seat and legs.