The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Opinions On "Leg Flapping"? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/opinions-leg-flapping-254249/)

BornToRun 08-12-2013 06:05 PM

Opinions On "Leg Flapping"?

I was just wondering what everyone's views on "leg flapping" is? (Not knocking, just asking)

Skyseternalangel 08-12-2013 06:11 PM

I find if I'm really loosey goosey then my legs flap. But if I'm quiet and fluid they stay put.

As long as you're riding effectively then it shouldn't be an issue

Tupelo 08-12-2013 10:57 PM

well when i rode english, the particular saddle i used, the stirrups always fell off with me riding, but not when anyone else rode in it. So i dont know what i did. No one ever said anything

Muppetgirl 08-12-2013 11:07 PM

Since this is in the western riding section - no to leg flapping.

Skyseternalangel 08-12-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 3333793)
Since this is in the western riding section - no to leg flapping.

Didn't see that, sorry for posting..

Muppetgirl 08-12-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel (Post 3333817)
Didn't see that, sorry for posting..

Haha don't apologize!!! There shouldn't be too much leg flapping either way! LOL!

SlideStop 08-12-2013 11:10 PM

What kind of leg flapping, the barrel racer kind?
Posted via Mobile Device

Iseul 08-12-2013 11:14 PM

I'm going to assume we're talking about how barrel racers "fly away" on the way between barrels and home.

I see no place for it. If you're grabbing the horn for dear life and flapping your legs..You'd better hope that horse doesn't decide to throw in a buck or decide to spook at something outside the arena (or a groundhog running through the arena..lol. had that happen once at a show). No way in hell are you balanced with flapping legs running at full speed. And if that horse just completely stops? Uh-Oh, you're over it's head, face-first.

Not to mention, because you can't flap your legs like I see these girls without slamming down on your horse's back each stride..It isn't helping your horse go faster, it's honestly slowing them down. No finished horse should stay at a dead run with a rider bouncing all over the place.
Posted via Mobile Device

boots 08-13-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iseul (Post 3333873)
It isn't helping your horse go faster, it's honestly slowing them down.

I agree. If "leg flapping" helped a horse go faster, the jockeys in the Derby each May would all be doing it.

bsms 08-13-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iseul (Post 3333873)
I'm going to assume we're talking about how barrel racers "fly away" on the way between barrels and home...

Thank you. I was trying to figure out what "leg flapping" meant. Now all I need to do is figure out how anyone would consider it helpful...:shock: