The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Riding on the road (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/riding-road-25436/)

Spyder 04-04-2009 03:32 PM

Riding on the road

Something I never do for there are just too many idiots that have no clue. I would be devastated if what happened in this article happened to my boy.:-(

TheStar.com | Ontario | Hit-and-run injures top rider, kills horse

Walkamile 04-04-2009 04:23 PM

I do have to ride occasionally on the road. Not something I enjoy and yes I have seen some very stupid, ignorant people who have almost caused a tragedy.

I always move off the road when I hear (I don't even wait to see them) them coming . T is very sure and steady so I'm not concerned about her behavior just the motorist.

What happened in the article certainly sounded deliberate. Some people are sick, twisted and should be hung up by their.......well , you get the idea.

I have been told by a friend in law enforcement that if I could get the licence number, the driver would be fined for driving to endanger as horses have the right of way. But as you all know, who has time to even look at a license, too busy controlling your horse and trying to get out of the way!

Thanks for reminding us of how dangerous it can be to ride on the road. For those of us who do have to on occasion, caution to the extreme IMO should always be observed.

sandy2u1 04-04-2009 07:20 PM

thats terrible. I cant believe the guy actually stopped...yelled at her...then got back in his truck! I really hope they catch the guy who did that.:cry:

wanderlust 04-04-2009 07:31 PM

well, the whole article is incredibly sad. But, I am really a bit miffed at the ending. I'm sure all the concerned readers were wondering about the horse's insurance and how money was lost.

Jubilee Rose 04-04-2009 11:14 PM

I didn't get a chance to read the article, but I know that people at my barn ride on the road all the time. I do agree though... it can be dangerous. Most of the time drivers passing by are very respectful and slow down for us, but I've seen some people just fly right past without blinking an eye ... that makes me mad. :-|

LeahKathleen 04-04-2009 11:44 PM

I ride on some of the county roads in a residential area near my barn. Most people, because I live in "horse country" are very respectful, slow down, move over, wave and smile. Others act like they don't see us, and that they have the right of way. Regardless of the motorist, we always move to the grass shoulder, or even into a ditch in order to get off the road.

The article was extremely sad. It's one thing to be ignorant about horses - you don't know that horses spook or you don't see them, so you don't slow down. It's another to purposefully nail a horse and rider because you think you rule the road. I cannot believe someone could get out of their truck and scream at someone who might be dead on the side of the road - someone they might have killed. If the rider had been killed, that would be called "murder," not just "endangerment." How could someone do that? People continue to blow my mind each and every day.

It is so important to realize that life, that of both you and your horse, is precious and can end at any moment of any day.

Kianne 04-05-2009 12:59 AM

That was such a sad article, and that poor horse :-(... I can't imagine how traumatizing that was for the riders too. I cannot understand how some people can be so completely heartless. It makes me sick, and yelling at someone after you just hit their horse, ugh.

At lessons we have to ride on roads a lot to get to the trails, and while there are a lot of drivers that slow down and give the horses plenty of space, there are more who fly past without even glancing. I have had more than one driver purposely try to spook the horses for their sick enjoyment. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...lies/irked.gif

FGRanch 04-05-2009 01:25 AM

I will ride on my gravel road on occasion, but never on the highway.

Very tragic story.

PaintHorseMares 04-05-2009 06:58 AM

I ride on roads a lot, but there are certain roads that I never ride on...too many inconsiderate (and dangerous) people. I've found that folks on motorcycles have been among the most careful and considerate of all (behind farmers/ranchers), perhaps because they understand the dangers of sharing the road with cars and trucks; suburbanites the worst...rude and always in a rush.

NorthernMama 04-05-2009 12:34 PM

This is just an awful tale. I live on a gravel road too and ride on it regularly when the bush is too wet or too snowy. Usually gravel road drivers are respectful of livestock of all kinds. This guy had something else going on, I'm sure.

A friend of mine will purposefully ride in the middle of the road, sometimes wave her arms, and supposedly "force" the drivers to slow down if she thinks they are going too fast. I have often thought she was wrong to do this, but held my tongue. No longer. Next time she does that I will tell her about this horrific story. I often take the ditch if someone is coming too fast, or with something extra noisy (loose trailers, etc.).