The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Thoughts on a Wonky Western Thoroughbred Mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/thoughts-wonky-western-thoroughbred-mare-254417/)

TrailBlazin 08-12-2013 11:17 PM

Thoughts on a Wonky Western Thoroughbred Mare
 
This is my 11 year old Thoroughbred cross mare. What do you guys think of her legs? Her front right canon is a bit off when it comes down from her knee, and it seems a little bowed. I will get pictures of this as soon as possible. She's also a little over at the knees, but how bad? And whatever else you guys find, I want to know about. Pick her right apart! These are the only photos I have for now, I will have more angles up shortly.
http://i41.tinypic.com/2dukk0.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2cwqtg7.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/r788js.jpg

Shoebox 08-12-2013 11:23 PM

I suck at confo but I see that she's over at the knee and a bit sickle-hocked

TrailBlazin 08-12-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoebox (Post 3333249)
I suck at confo but I see that she's over at the knee and a bit sickle-hocked

Thank you, I thought that as well. :)

Tryst 08-12-2013 11:44 PM

Not the most athletic looking horse. Firstly her hooves really need a trim. As she doesn't have great legs it is especially important to stay on top of her feet to give her all the advantages that she can have.

She has a pretty head, feminine. Neck is a good length, but ties in low. Withers are set far back, leading in to a long back and weak coupling. Hip is average. Shoulder angle is ok. She is built fairly downhill. Those Legs... Yikes! In front she is over at the knee, as well as being tied in below the knee. Knees may have arthritic changes. Hind legs are, unfortunately, also very poorly constructed. She is exceptionally straight on her hind pasterns and quite severely sickle hocked. I hope her intended use is no more than light pleasure riding, as I highly doubt she will stay sound for more intensive uses.

Kudos to you for loving her despite her flaws and keeping her in good weight. I would be careful about ever letting her get overweight as she has a poor suspension system to support herself, so keeping her a bit lean is to her advantage. She looks a good weight IMO now.

TrailBlazin 08-12-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tryst (Post 3333505)
Not the most athletic looking horse. Firstly her hooves really need a trim. As she doesn't have great legs it is especially important to stay on top of her feet to give her all the advantages that she can have.

She has a pretty head, feminine. Neck is a good length, but ties in low. Withers are set far back, leading in to a long back and weak coupling. Hip is average. Shoulder angle is ok. She is built fairly downhill. Those Legs... Yikes! In front she is over at the knee, as well as being tied in below the knee. Knees may have arthritic changes. Hind legs are, unfortunately, also very poorly constructed. She is exceptionally straight on her hind pasterns and quite severely sickle hocked. I hope her intended use is no more than light pleasure riding, as I highly doubt she will stay sound for more intensive uses.

Kudos to you for loving her despite her flaws and keeping her in good weight. I would be careful about ever letting her get overweight as she has a poor suspension system to support herself, so keeping her a bit lean is to her advantage. She looks a good weight IMO now.

We've been trying to get hold of our farrier, her feet are definitely in need of a trim, and yes I only plan on trail riding with her. I hate those legs, hate hate hate em! I just watch her walk and I cringe. She also had severe problems with lameness in the past, do you think it was because of her legs? It was so bad she could hardly walk. We got her a good trim and let her out on 24/7 pasture and she felt better rather quickly. I had some one get on today and I watched her trot and it seemed like quite a challenge.

Tryst 08-13-2013 12:08 AM

Yes I suspect her lameness is due to her legs and feet. She may never be fully sound. I would ask in the Heath section of the forum for recommendations on joint supplements, as I suspect she already has some arthritis looking at her knees and hocks, and a supplement "might" help.

TrailBlazin 08-13-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tryst (Post 3333801)
Yes I suspect her lameness is due to her legs and feet. She may never be fully sound. I would ask in the Heath forum for recommendations on joint supplements, as I suspect she already has some arthritis looking at her knees.

Ah. I might actually end up selling her to a light riding/companion home with a buy-back contract. I have been working with her slowly for about two years. She had a very slow start as her lameness issues. I was hoping I could be riding her by now.

Tryst 08-13-2013 12:17 AM

IMO a companion home would be in her best interest. Kind of sad, as she isn't that old, but she just got all the bad stuff in the genetic load.

TrailBlazin 08-13-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tryst (Post 3333929)
IMO a companion home would be in her best interest. Kind of sad, as she isn't that old, but she just got all the bad stuff in the genetic load.

I know, its a sin. And she grew up with no mother, she died and we had to bottle feed her. Her mother was stunning though so I'd hate to know what her father looked like. Her mother was a rugged, thick chocolate colored draft quarter horse cross who was an absolute dream to ride. We think her father was thoroughbred, that was what we were told. Never got to see him.

Elana 08-13-2013 09:15 AM

That is a horse born to be lame. Her hind legs are over angled and she is severely sickle hocked and very light in bone. She is over at the knee in front and it looks like she has an issue with the right knee.

To add to her troubles she is trimmed with low heels and long toes.

I suspect this horse is developing spavins. I look at this horse and can only think that if she is always uncomfortable the kindest thing may be to put her down. I know that is not a popular thing but to live in discomfort is not a fun life. Maybe not now.. but this is a horse that won't improve with time. Keeping her out 24/7 will decrease her discomfort.. so see how it goes.. but horses are expensive to just keep around and at 11 you are looking at a lot of money and a lot of years.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0