The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Big brown spot in eye? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/big-brown-spot-eye-254425/)

Elizabeth Bowers 08-12-2013 10:20 PM

Big brown spot in eye?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Health Gurus, i'm posting a pic of my mare Chloe's eye, her right one. Only because of this huge brown spot in it, i can't remember what it is called, but I think it may affect her vision to an extent. She only spooks on her right side, especially if i'm riding. If it helps she is a Mountain Pleasure horse, double dilute black = Smoky Cream, if her color would have anything to do with it. Any thoughts on what could have caused it, and if it will get worse/better in time? Your help is much appreciated!! Thank you!

Attachment 254209

natisha 08-13-2013 03:37 AM

Is that new or changing at all?

Elizabeth Bowers 08-13-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natisha (Post 3335505)
Is that new or changing at all?

I noticed it when i bought her, and i didn't think anything of it, until i started riding her. It hasn't changed, but it seems to disappear when her pupil dilates in the evening or early dusk. I think just where it's at it may be affecting her vision or something. :?

DriftingShadow 08-13-2013 02:28 PM

I would probably have the vet out to look at it, because I dont mess around with eyes. Thats just me though. I used to be the wait and see type of person but both of my horses have cured me of that. You can always send your vet a photo and ask :)

Trinity3205 08-13-2013 05:25 PM

I would also have a vet look at it. ASAP.

Elizabeth Bowers 08-14-2013 12:08 PM

I'll give her a call today, and see what she thinks, and maybe later this week or next week have her come up depending on her schedule. :) She'll be coming up to give my colt his shots anyway...

smrobs 08-14-2013 12:12 PM

I think what you're talking about is called the corpora nigra. That little blobby looking thing that's sort of over the top of their pupil? It has something to do with protecting their eye from sunlight.

Of course, if it seems like she's having sight issues on that side, have it checked out, but it's perfectly normal for a horse to have those and they can vary in size from really small to really huge.

Trinity3205 08-14-2013 01:25 PM

I see an actual brown spot on the lens in this photo myself. That is not normal.

Elizabeth Bowers 08-14-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 3350202)
I think what you're talking about is called the corpora nigra. That little blobby looking thing that's sort of over the top of their pupil? It has something to do with protecting their eye from sunlight.

Of course, if it seems like she's having sight issues on that side, have it checked out, but it's perfectly normal for a horse to have those and they can vary in size from really small to really huge.

That's what it is!! Thank you Smrobs!. I know they are normal, but i'v never seen one this big before, she has 2 or 3 smaller ones in her left eye, and they don't seem to infringe on her vision. I just noticed she spooked a good bit on her right side, and thought that it may have something to do with it. And yes she is rather sensitive on very bright sunny days.

LovesMyDunnBoy 08-14-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth Bowers (Post 3352498)
That's what it is!! Thank you Smrobs!. I know they are normal, but i'v never seen one this big before, she has 2 or 3 smaller ones in her left eye, and they don't seem to infringe on her vision. I just noticed she spooked a good bit on her right side, and thought that it may have something to do with it. And yes she is rather sensitive on very bright sunny days.

That could also explain why it seems to go away when there's low light outside, no need for it!
Posted via Mobile Device