The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   How do you know if a prospect has the heart to GO? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/how-do-you-know-if-prospect-254465/)

SnowCowgirl 08-13-2013 12:08 AM

How do you know if a prospect has the heart to GO?

I'm looking at a couple of different barrel prospects. One is a cow-bred 2 y/o filly from what I've learned, and the other is a reining-bred un-started 6 year old stud.

I am not aiming for the big time, just some jackpots near home, but my current horse is a draft mix lol. She's my heart horse, but just not the quickest on the pattern.

I did look at a few barrel bred youngins but to be honest nothing caught my eye.

I'm thinking of looking at the stud (has never bred a mare and would be gelded immediately). He is close to me and is unregistered from reg'd lines, which I think is partly why he is priced so low. I have not looked at him yet. I like the fact that he is older than 2 because I don't even like to start horses under saddle before 3... But before they are 6 lol.

He is reining/cutting bred for sure so there should be agility there, but is there any way to tell BEFORE I buy him whether or not he might have the desire to run?

Like I said, he was never actually registered but here is his pedigree:

(On a side note, am I reading correctly on the AQHA site that to register him would be around $500)?

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/nu+cash+for+trash
Posted via Mobile Device

paintedpastures 08-13-2013 12:31 AM

Stellar Pedigree,makes me wonder how they let getting him registered slip through the cracks:cry: plus never try to start him,breed with him or geld him....Make you go Hmmmm

SnowCowgirl 08-13-2013 12:35 AM

Ok I thought it was good! (Have never had QHs but even *I* recognize a few of the names on there) Really makes me wonder too. However they do have another filly born same year who, though started, was also not reg. the lady says her husband had a heart attack that year.

I guess if he was never regd the pedigree could be fake.

I'm going to grill her when i call tomorrow. Because on too of all that he is really cheaply priced.
Posted via Mobile Device

beau159 08-13-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowCowgirl (Post 3333809)
but is there any way to tell BEFORE I buy him whether or not he might have the desire to run?

Not really. You'll just have to wait and see (years) down the road when you start him on the pattern.

Some people will say they can "see" something in their eyes and know. But the vast majority of people don't have that gift; I myself do not.

Plus he's not even broke to ride yet ..... and there's no way to tell if he's even going to like that. :wink:

They say that barrel racing is the constant pursuit of a faster horse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnowCowgirl (Post 3333809)
(On a side note, am I reading correctly on the AQHA site that to register him would be around $500)?

That sounds about right. As they get older, it gets more and more expensive to have them registered.

SnowCowgirl 08-13-2013 03:02 PM

Sorta figured. I was just hoping maybe someone had some magic ways to tell ;)

I doubt I'd bother having him reg'd. If he were a mare I'd breed someday then maybe. But as a gelding I don't really see the point.

I am calling the owner tonight. I feel like there must be SOMETHING wrong with him (besides being unbroke at his age and unregistered) because he is priced so low. Ill ask permission to post a photo if all sounds ok.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelRacer23 08-13-2013 07:02 PM

You don't necessarily. I've never picked a bad horse, but it's all still a gamble until you get them on the pattern. I like watching a horse, studying how they move, how they carry them self and watching their stride. And look at their temperament, I want an easy horse to work with not one I have to fight. Find one that's willing to learn, that's easier when their broke to ride. But just doing something like lunging can give you an idea, or asking them to give their head from the ground. But it's hard to say how fast one will be in the end, just pick out the best you can and never skimp on conformation.
Posted via Mobile Device

SnowCowgirl 08-13-2013 07:38 PM

Is there a way to find out what registered foals an AQHA mare has had?

These people have three horses for sale. An 06,07,and 08. None are regd. all are out of the same mare. What could be the reason for this?

Thanks barrelracer. I'm going to get confo pics of all three horses I'm thinking of looking at and get permission to post them for opinions
Posted via Mobile Device

Lopin N Paint 08-13-2013 07:49 PM

REG. NO. HORSE'S NAME COLOR SEX DATE FOAL ST
3571498 MY XS CASH SORREL MARE 05/01/1997 CA

Additional Horse Information for MY XS CASH:

Genetic Typed
SIRE DAM MATERNAL GRANDSIRE
2217292 NU CASH 1354923 KARA VAN BAR 0731108 MORRIS VAN BAR
DESCRIPTION NAME ADDRESS
BREEDER: KARYN ANNETTE STEVENS NIPOMO, CA
OWNER: WILLIAM & LINDA TIFFANY ONTARIO, OR

MY XS CASH'S Offspring

NICS PLAIN CASH 4135649 Sorrel Mare 04/22/2001
Sire- OLENAS PLAIN NIC 3117549
National Reined Cow Horse Association: $ 340.20 Earned thru 08/24/2004

NICS LOTTA CASH 4421067 Sorrel Mare 04/26/2003
Sire- OLENAS PLAIN NIC 3117549

Summary of MY XS CASH'S Offspring
Reg Foals 2 Perf Foals 1 CYR Perf Foals 0
Race Age Foals 2

No Race Information

No AQHA Show Information

Accuracy and completeness of information are the responsibility of each alliance.
AQHA/Alliance Summary All-time 2013 Total
National Reined Cow Horse Association $ 340.20 N/A

No AQHA Show Year End Award Information

Lopin N Paint 08-13-2013 07:54 PM

The safest thing to do is DO NOT BUY UNTIL PAPERS ARE INHAND AND SIGNED.

I'm guessing you found the breeders website.

SnowCowgirl 08-13-2013 07:57 PM

Ok so this mare is currently located in alberta. If she is listed as belonging to someone in Ontario possibly the papers never got transferred when she was sold to the current Alberta owners, meaning her foals COULDN'T be registered by the current owners?

(I've never owned a registered horse)

I don't care too much about the papers to be honest but I don't want to buy from someone who lies about why the foals were never regd
Posted via Mobile Device