The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Potential Buys - Yay or Nay? (Pics!)

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Elana 
#1 ·
I am looking to buy another horse, and I have my eyes locked onto four of em. I know, I know, I can't even fit four more in my barn. So unfortunately I have to choose one. I'm stuck. What do you guys think on their conformation and stuff? I plan on using it for ranch work, and trails, and a little bit of road-journeying. So nothing too strenuous.

First up is an 11 year old French Canadian Mare that I'm absolutely IN LOVE WITH. She's 16 hands and RUGGED. A little over weight but nothing a little work can't fix.. Broke to western. They want $1250 for her and are selling because they can't take care of her anymore.

Second is a beautifully put together Registered Quarter Horse Mare. I love her build, absolutely love it. She's five years old and broke to western.

And third, a thirteen year old grade mare they are selling for $300. Broke but not ridden for 2 years. Almost fifteen hands. I don't really like her, but I feel bad for her. She's underweight and I can see her spine, she looks like a sweetheart. Her legs look a tad strange as well.

And fourth, a real beaut. She's three years old, broke for trails in western apparel. Sire is Percheron/Quarter Horse, and dam was standardbred. 15 hands and still growing. The owners are retiring and want to sell her for $750. I think she's going to be a steal of a deal.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ask yourself what you want.

Horse #1 is gorgeous - have you been out to try her? With that much action, she probably won't have a very smooth gait to her. If you're trail riding, that may not be ideal. I like her build, but want to see another conformation photo or two - she may just be tucking her tail, otherwise I see a slight roach back.

Horse #2 is a "safe bet" as far as it goes. Nothing spectacular in looks or conformation, has a kind face and eye.

Horse #3 is a project, long term. She could be a bit of a diamond in the rough, but she's going to need TLC and her resale value at the end of the day means you're in the hole whatever you put into her.

Horse #4 is a young greenie who will need lots of wet saddle blankets. She will not be a horse you can just get on and go and not have a care in the world, you will have to be attentive and realize that you're either training or untraining this horse - true of any horse, yes, but especially so on a youngster. You will have to be on your game every moment for a while. I have an exceptionally trainable 3 year old who was "born broke" - you just don't let your guard down till they have miles on them.

Each horse is totally different - you have to decide what you want.

#7 ·
I like the fourth horse the best. I think she has the most long term potential

1. roached back . May be such an easy keeper that you could have issues wtih metabolic problems in feet. saddle fit could also be a challenge.

2. I like this hrose, too.

3. agree that it might be diamond in the rough. Cannot see much from that photo.

4. looks sturdy, bright, porportioned well and young , so that you can color her as you would . the more empty canvas, so to speak.

#12 ·
Is it just me or does #1 also look cresty in the neck? She is pretty obese.....and you will probably end up using a grazing muzzle or dry lot on her, would be my guess.

Honestly-I sort of see them all as projects in different ways.
#1-has she been ridden on trails? It doesn't say, and she may be a horse who has only ridden in arenas.
#2-I like-but again-only 5, and little is said about experience, and at 5, it may be a bit limited.
#3-definitely a project, and may just be worth the time, who knows.
#4-young and has only done trails. If that is your main purpose, I would consider her. BUT, I also bought one about this age who was totally trail broke. He was fabulous on trails, but, if you are not a beginner and asked him to do something like take a certain lead-he had no clue, and honestly-in my case, got a little pissy when asked. It has taken me a long time to get him to do anything "ranch work" like, or ride nicely in an arena.

IMO-all horses are projects of sorts, as they all have something more we want them to do. (mush like we as riders are never totally "finished") I also believe they all have vices. THe key is to pick one who has "issues" you know for the most part, and can deal with.

Good luck-you have some nice prospects!

#13 ·
1.) Has a true roach back but a very nicely laid back shoulder. A bit sickle hocked and a little tied in at the knee. Would love to see her when she is thinner!

2.) Long thru the coupling. Tied in at the knee. Steep shoulder. Steep croup. Rough looking altogether.

3.) Even longer thru the coupling than #2. Maybe sickle hocked. Needs feet done. Base of neck ties in low to the chest. Not a very good horse in a bad ownership.

4.) Cannot tell a lot from these photos (like the coupling). Looks good. Lots of bone. Maybe be flat crouped. Cannot see coupling.. may be a little roached or may be something not that (strong). Shoulder might be steep. Really hard to judge from the photos.

If I was doing Dressage I would be looking at number 1. However, I would want to see her move.. that back might make her too stiff for upper levels.

Would like to see better photos of #4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.