The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   cobwebs (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/cobwebs-25452/)

wanderlust 04-04-2009 09:42 PM

cobwebs

I have been assigned non-specific barn chores at this new place I am at. I decided to tackle all the cobwebs. They were draping the rafters and walls, and they made the place look so dingy. It was like a setting for a bad scary movie. I took a broom and brushed the majority of the cobwebs off. I didn't try too hard where the hay is stored, but I did a decent job on the stalls.

Did I just waste my time? A girl came in and told me they will be just as bad in a few weeks. The dust looked like it had been accumulating for quite a while, IMO. How long will it take to build back up?

Spyder 04-04-2009 09:49 PM

My babies..........My babies..............:shock:

Jubilee Rose 04-04-2009 11:17 PM

Haha, Spyder....

I don't think its a waste of time at all. It makes everything look so much cleaner. They WILL come back... but if we didn't shower just because we'll get dirty again, we'd be very smelly people! :-P

wanderlust 04-04-2009 11:30 PM

Spyder. I was careful to not kill spiders. They get Mosquitos! I'm sure I snagged a few though

Jubilee rose..... Well I never make my bed because I apply that theory

Jubilee Rose 04-05-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderlust (Post 282842)

Jubilee rose..... Well I never make my bed because I apply that theory

Haha... its ok. I actually do the same with my bed.

Spyder 04-05-2009 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderlust (Post 282842)
Spyder. I was careful to not kill spiders. They get Mosquitos! I'm sure I snagged a few though

That is good. Spydees do kill many of those pesky flies that buzz about.

Vidaloco 04-05-2009 02:55 PM

I don't think you wasted your time at all. I do it regularly in my horse trailer. I don't have any horse stalls but if I did I wouldn't want a possibly poisonous spider sharing it with my horsey friend.
No offense Spyder I know all your spidey kids are sweet and friendly

Pally 04-10-2009 12:31 AM

Well that is the thing about cobwebbing is it never seems to end. Because either you think you did a good job, then turn 15 degrees left and find a whole bunch more you didn't see up there at first....or, yeah, new ones do get built.

But it definitely does help out the appearance of a barn, and most "public" barns (like school and boarding barns) I know do attempt to do it.

horseoffire 04-10-2009 11:35 AM

I always clean cobwebs down but they nevery realy go back up for a few months because the barn selling is like the ceilings they have in schools and stuff. Pluss its a neat frek show and breeding barn. we love every thing to be clean we even have a stove in the tack room wich is coneced to the indoor so their its heated more to wach the horses

hrsjmpr32 04-11-2009 09:45 PM

It was a good thing just in case you didn't know cobwebs in a barn are a fire hazard (my hubby is a firefighter) and IF a barn does catch on fire they fuel the fire. Just a FYI. I clean them out of my barn about every two weeks.