The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Rope halters (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/rope-halters-25469/)

Aliboo 04-05-2009 08:43 AM

Rope halters

I may be getting a rope halter from ebay, but all my horse loving life I've been around nylons and cloths. So, if you like rope, could you give some tips, suggestions, anything at all i might need to know?

Horsegma 04-05-2009 09:48 AM

They are especially helpful in any kind of training.

The thinner the rope, the bitier it is.

Don't ever leave them unattended, tied up or hauled in the trailer in a rope halter.

They do not give/break and the horse can suffocate or some other serious damage.

You also have to remember that because they don't give as much as the web halters that any pressure you put on them they will feel much more, so be gentle and only use as much pressure as the moment deserves.

Vidaloco 04-05-2009 09:54 AM

It took me awhile to figure this one out so I will save you the trouble:lol:
Here is a site that shows how to tie one to your horse.
If you do it any other way, you run the risk of having it get so tight it has to be cut off. Also the left over rope needs to be facing away from your horses eye

Vidaloco 04-05-2009 09:57 AM

Here is a video if that is easier

Spirithorse 04-05-2009 01:00 PM

I love rope halters. I use them for everything except trailering. PLEASE don't trailer your horse tied in a rope halter! I use a leather halter for that because it will break.

HorseSavvy 04-05-2009 01:48 PM

I love mine to death! They're so great when I'm doing ground work

cowgirlfitzy 04-05-2009 04:50 PM

They are the best for training! They can't brace against them as good.

loosie 04-06-2009 02:43 AM

Yay Vidaloco - the RIGHT way to tie! Last time I saw a youtube vid attached in a thread on this question they actually did it the wrong way! You reckon tying any other way makes the knot tight? I've never seen that, but I've seen them fall off plenty of horses when they were done up the wrong way.

I add my count to thinking rope halters are good. Training, riding & otherwise. They are strong and simple, no hardware to break, completely washable, I think they look better than many and they're cheap to boot(I make them for around $7AUD).

I also add my count to those who advised against using them to tie firm - in a trailer or otherwise, and not to leave them on a horse unattended tho. They are strong enough that in case of accident or the horse pulling back, it's likely the horse or other equipment will break before the halter does. I use a 'tie ring' to avoid tying firm. I think these sorts of gadgets are a great safety measure no matter what kind of halter you use.

A couple more tips... avoid halters that have extra 'pressure point' knots over the nose or poll. Fit the halter so that the nosepiece is well up off the delecate area of the horse's nostrils. If you buy a halter who's loose ends aren't sewn together, put a couple of stitches in them - more convenient that way. While you're at it, put a few stitches through the entire fiador knot(under the chin) and stitch the loops you attach the lead to together - the fiador has a tendency to loosen & come undone over time, especially if you're using those lead loops separately & it's a bugger to retie, so eliminate the possibility before you start.

Vidaloco 04-06-2009 11:27 AM

More tips to not do dumb stuff I have done-
Hang on to the loose end of the tie when your taking it off or on. Some halters have metal nibs on the end and its really easy to have them swing around and smack yourself or your horse in the eye.
Make sure the back fits under chin and behind the cheek well. If it won't go behind the cheek its too small. If it hangs down too far on the nose its too big. They do come in different sizes. Some brands make the horse size huge other way small.
Tuck the loose end of the tie under the cheek part once you have it tied. It keeps it from flopping around and getting in the way.
Thats all I can think of at the moment :D

Pally 04-07-2009 11:24 AM

Great advice so far. I want to add that I see a lot of people with them adjusted way too low. They should be in the same place as the nylon halter - a couple of fingers below the cheekbone - and I will say because of the extra "bite" a rope halter has it's even more important to get it right and not have it down on the soft nose cartilage. I think sometimes the problem is if you are new to tying the knot (or it's green fussy horse you are trying to get one on the first time...haha) you won't get it tight enough the first time, and may have to adjust it up mid-session.