The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   1 rein stop..do you use it? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/1-rein-stop-do-you-use-254826/)

Horsecrazy4ever 08-13-2013 10:14 AM

1 rein stop..do you use it?

Hi-

I've been reading up on using a 1 rein stop and was wondering how many of you guys actually TEACH your horse the 1 rein stop??

If you do teach your horse, what methods do you use?

And I've also heard that you should never use it as your "normal" stop on a ride.... is this true?

How often does a person practice this one rein stop? Before every ride, for just a few min?

And when you do teach the 1 rein stop, you also disengage the hindquarters..correct? So if you pull on the inside rein, you tap him with your inside foot(farther back towards his hind end ) ?

Wow- that was a lot of questions! But I'm curious and love to learn new things :)

one more thing: Does anyone do it in a hackamore?

beau159 08-13-2013 10:49 AM

I can't say I have ever "taught" a horse to do a one rein stop.

I do, however, teach the horse to bend and give their head in both directions, and to move every piece of their body.

In the last 2 years, I can only recall actually using a one rein emergency stop 2 or 3 times. Once was on a colt to stop his bucking fit, and the other two times were on my gelding when he bolted out of fear (we've resolved that issue).

I personally feel like if you take the time to train your horse effectively and also do plenty of ground work to earn their respect and trust, then you probably will never need a one rein stop. No, it doesn't mean that emergencies don't happen and that "bombproof" horses can't explode, but taking the time to give your horse the tools ahead of time can make a world of difference.

That being said, I never do a one rein stop as a "normal" stop, because I"ve trained my horses to stop normal! (like they should)

Horsecrazy4ever 08-13-2013 10:53 AM

yes, my horse stops "normal" just perfectly,even when he does get scared but I figured it wouldn't hurt to learn the 1 rein stop :D

So if I want to disengage his hindquarters and get his back legs to cross, I pull on the inside rein and bump him with my inside leg ?

bsms 08-13-2013 11:14 AM

One Rein Stop can mean two different things. Some use it to describe circling a horse in tighter circles to slow it down. Others use lifting one rein (or pulling back on one, I'm not sure) as the cue to stop. The first works, but doesn't require much training apart from lateral flexibility. The second is like any other cue for stopping - it takes training and consistency. I've used the first. The second seems kind of silly, but maybe I'm missing something.

beau159 08-13-2013 11:19 AM

That's the idea. Pressure on the inside rein, and use your inside leg (moved back just a tad) to ask the hindquarters to move out and disengage.

In the event you need to do that, it's probably going to be a split-second decision. It may not be safe to turn to the left (as an example) because a fence is there. Hopefully your brain will make the quick decision for you to grab your saddle horn with your left hand to hold on, use your right hand to apply the direct rein, and use your right leg to disengage the hindquarters.

If you need to, you could certainly practice doing that at a walk or trot at random places while you are trail riding to help your muscle memory. (I wouldn't do it at the lope just for the horse's sake)

amberly 08-13-2013 11:27 AM

My horse's were taught a few years ago, so I don't really remember how they were taught.
But for a one rein stop on my horse's I just pull back on one rein, pulling back towards my stomach and on the other side of the horn so it does not turn his head, because I don't want that.
I have also tried disengaging his hind, but that doesn't seem to work well with my horse's and it also doesn't help me or the horse to do that in my opinion. Of course I will do that if they don't stop one reined though for safety.

BlueSpark 08-13-2013 11:40 AM

one of the first lessons I teach a horse is to flex, yield the hind quarters and come to a stop. I call it "putting in the E-brake". after the first 30 days I have it well ingrained. I pull the rein to my hip, they yield the hind quarters and come to a stop. I might do it the odd time after that, but mostly its a 'button' I like to have for emergencies. If I'm on a green horse, I like to know there is a way to get it stopped in the event of a panic episode or buck/bolt.

I also teach new riders this, and make them practice several times in a pen before taking them out on a trail.

usandpets 08-13-2013 11:53 AM

I don't extensively teach it to our horses usually. However, the horse I'm training for a friend, I want to make sure it has it down pat. The friend is a green rider and the horse is green under saddle. The horse is laid back but does spook. I was riding him this last weekend and a dog came running and barking out of a garage. Gunner, the horse, spun and went to take off. If I had tried to stop him with both reins, he could have easily felt trapped, freaked out more and pushed through the bit. Instead, when I pulled one rein, it brought his focus back on me and he stopped.

Because our friend is a green rider, I wanted the most simple cue for the horse. I didn't teach the horse to disengage with my leg. I taught him to do it with just the rein.

Once the horse knows how to do it, I wouldn't use it as a normal stopping cue. Just occasionally at sporadic moments to remind or refresh the horse. When training it, I would use it more frequently but still not as a normal stopping cue.
Posted via Mobile Device