The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   can you tell me what is wrong with duke's hooves? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/can-you-tell-me-what-wrong-25495/)

katieandduke 04-05-2009 05:16 PM

can you tell me what is wrong with duke's hooves?

7 Attachment(s)
i went down to the stables today for the first time since it has rained.. i noticed his coronary band was white and extremely soft.. is that normal? and his poop is runny and green. not like balls like it usually is.. sorry if that was gross.haha..
here is pics of his hooves.. wat do yall think it is.. thank you for your help!

Skippy! 04-05-2009 05:59 PM

Seeing the pictures of the backs of his heels makes me think its from him standing for long periods of time in mud/wet environments... but i'd see more tell tail signs of that in the hair and hoof quality... so i ruled that out as an option.

I've seen new growth in hooves come in white in color... but not THAT white.. especially on the front hooves. I could be wrong though :p

How long has his movements been runny?

Hopefully someone more useful than me will find this thread and comment. I'm keeping my eyes on this thread for replies. I'm very interested to know whats going on.

Thank you for posting the pictures too! Its always more helpful than a description alone! lol!

katieandduke 04-05-2009 06:45 PM

i just noticed his movements like that today so anywhere from a week to a day... his coat quality isnt that good right now.. he is loosing his hair on his butt and above his eyes and his forhead and his nose... also on his legs.. thanks for the help!

katieandduke 04-05-2009 06:47 PM

nad it is also googie.. like i can press down on it on his bulbs of his feet and his top of his hoof..

ilovemyPhillip 04-05-2009 06:52 PM

Have a vet and farrier look at him

barrelracingchik101 04-05-2009 07:44 PM

my horses feet use to get like that when i gave him a bath its kinda like when we sit in water and we jet all prune and soft..it will go back to the normal color when they dry

barefoothooves 04-05-2009 08:29 PM

He just looks waterlogged. :-) The runny poo can come from the extra rain making pasture grass spring up and upset his tummy some. If he's acting otherwise normal, I'd not worry too much beyond colic/founder watch that typically would come with spring grass anyways. You could try limiting his exposure to the green grass for a while, but in a few days he may have adjusted anyways.

When the ground dries up his hooves will too. If he's in and out of a stall with shavings, he may get some shallow surface cracks as the hoof dries and becomes wet again. It's normal, but try not to have him wet/dry to often. The changing back and forth is more apt to cuase a problem than just the wet pasture.

Skippy! 04-05-2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefoothooves (Post 283254)
He just looks waterlogged. :-) The runny poo can come from the extra rain making pasture grass spring up and upset his tummy some. If he's acting otherwise normal, I'd not worry too much beyond colic/founder watch that typically would come with spring grass anyways. You could try limiting his exposure to the green grass for a while, but in a few days he may have adjusted anyways.

When the ground dries up his hooves will too. If he's in and out of a stall with shavings, he may get some shallow surface cracks as the hoof dries and becomes wet again. It's normal, but try not to have him wet/dry to often. The changing back and forth is more apt to cuase a problem than just the wet pasture.

See, i had thought that it had to do with damp conditions too (especially after looking at the heels)! One of the things that made me dismiss it is that the rest of his hoof wall looks completely normal. When they get waterlogged do they normally only get the white band at the top? How come? The frogs didn't look damp either, which is another reason i dismissed the waterlogged theory... is it normal for the sole/frog to stay normal if they're waterlogged?

Whenever i see bulbs as white as those, im used to it being on rescues that were stuck in mud... but in their cases there was always thrush, the hair around the bulbs/coronet band was rubbed off, and the hoof quality was poor... so this is a good learning experience for me to see the difference! =)

Sorry for the onslaught of questions. I'm all about learning about hoofies! =)

loosie 04-06-2009 04:34 AM

I wouldn't be worried about the white coronet bands - like barefoot says, it's just waterlogging. I would be a bit concerned about those feet generally tho.

The 'growth rings' on his front feet could be a sign of ongoing laminitis episodes, of which runny poo from lush grass may be another symptom. Not necessarily anything to worry about, but something that you might want to learn more about & keep a close eye on.

The clenches on the shoes are loose and could cause injury and cause the shoe to be ripped off. The feet are stretched with some separation. The heels are long but underslung(crushed forward instead of upright) and the heels of the shoes seem to be further forward still. The backs are well due for a trim.

I think the best thing is to educate yourself on the mechanics and other factors of sound hooves, so you can decide for yourself what to do, who to use. While there are many farriers out there who know what they're on about & do a good job, shod or bare, there are many out there who don't, so you need to know what to look for too. Pete Ramey hoof care heals founder in horse’s navicular disease farrier & Barefoot for Soundness are 2 great places to start.

luvs2ride1979 04-06-2009 11:20 AM

They look water logged. The soles and frogs will look normal after a horse has been in muddy/wet conditions for a long time. My horses' frogs actually "shrank" this year, and their pasture has been one big mud pitt off and on since last October... ugh.

I agree with his feet looking bad though. His heels look uneven too. I would look for a new farrier, and keep more regular appointments (every 5-6 weeks).