The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Competing with Indy! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/competing-indy-25499/)

Vicizmax 04-05-2009 04:58 PM

Competing with Indy!

I promised some people to post the video at my competition with Indy :)
Well, here it is..!

This is only my second jumping competition ever, and my very first competition on Indy.
I was veerrry nervous..! xD
In both classes there was a jump where he almost tripped over it..! :O
Yes, that was my fault, I know..!
In the 80 cm. one (on the yellow jump) i dunno what came over me, nerves or panic or something else, but instead of waiting for the jump to come to me, i nudged him to jump too soon, resulting in what you see..
Then in the 90 cm. class (the blue jump), he was going a little too fast so i stopped him up (perhaps a little too much/fast), and because he wanted to keep going he started hopping again, so we almost got a hit..! :/

He was very forthgoing and really hot in the head! I didnt expect him to be so eager.. But in all, I personally think it went ok :) I'm happy, so..

But please do critique..!

zanyoutthere 04-05-2009 05:12 PM

Nothing that pops out at me. But wonderful job!!

eventnwithwinston 04-05-2009 05:16 PM

Im not very good at critiquing... but the one thing that popped out at me was your release. You need to relax and give a release so when your horse makes a funny jump like he did at the yellow jump and the wall jump, you dont bang him in the mouth.

Congrats on only you 2nd competition! Indy was a fresh and fiesty thang lol.

JustDressageIt 04-05-2009 11:58 PM

Everything I said in the last thread still applies here, I feel... in all honesty perhaps you should do some flatwork for a while - I saw an awful lot of acting up and you getting heavy on the reins.
You and your horse have to learn how to collect and extend, rather than go slow and fast towards the jumps; a lot of the distances were off and I think that dressage could really help out your jumping.

Equuestriaan 04-06-2009 12:18 PM

Wow, you two look GREAT!!!! I especially love how you look at 1:30 over that last jump. :D I don't see much you can improve on, besides maybe staying across in your two point a bit longer instead of sitting down so soon. :-) He certainly doesn't look like an easy ride, but you ride him really well!! :D Good job!

pepperduck 04-06-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 283402)
Everything I said in the last thread still applies here, I feel... in all honesty perhaps you should do some flatwork for a while - I saw an awful lot of acting up and you getting heavy on the reins.
You and your horse have to learn how to collect and extend, rather than go slow and fast towards the jumps; a lot of the distances were off and I think that dressage could really help out your jumping.

I really agree. Anyone can just point and shoot at the fences, and while you are getting through the course, you could really benefit from working with your horse more. You and your horse are just bracing against each other. I also think that you should do some flat work for a while. There are exercises that you can do with your horse, after you learn extending and collecting on the flat, that you can do over fences. If you get your horse to respond to you better then you two will be very successful competing.

Vicizmax 04-06-2009 06:30 PM

Thanks everyone..! :)

Personally, I think i stay up pretty long after the jumps before sitting down, because I always make sure he's in the right gallop before sitting down which takes about 2-4 strides, depending on if i have to change it or not.. I just stand up in my stirrups..

Unfortunately, (i think i mentioned this before), I dont ride dressage on him, i only jump him once a week and i have no possibility to ride him in dressage..!
So I can only train everything in the 20-30 minutes of lesson time I get every thursday.. :/
But I'm thinking about asking my trainer if my position is correct and how to improve, and somehow get her to practise that with me..! :p
In my jumping lessons we always start by trotting to the jump with a pole in front, and she puts the jump all the way up to 90 and OCCASIONALLY even 100 cm...! And i have to trot to that..! For me, thats very high to trot to! xD I'm not used to that.. But that's a pretty good excersise though, right..? Doesnt it help the horse collect itself and jump more up or something..? I'm not entirely sure how it helps..

pepperduck: When you say "while you are getting through the course, you could really benefit from working with your horse more." how do you mean work more? As in, what things specifically should I be really working on? (Except for the releases over the jumps, i've been told that, so I know, I'm working on that.. :p)

pepperduck 04-06-2009 10:31 PM

What I mean is, that you and your horse are in a constant tug of war for some sort of control. If you can get your horse to respond to your aids better, the whole course will run more smoothly. Your horse needs to be moving off your leg, bending, you need to support him more through the turns, stop bracing on each other. Ask your trainer if you can not jump for a week or two and work on flat work. Flat work is the most important when it comes to jumping. You can extend, collect, bend, get your horse moving exactly where you want it to set it up perfectly for the fence. Jumping isn't hard, it the work before and after the fence that really takes skill.