The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Is it ok to ride? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/ok-ride-25501/)

OnlySamwise 04-05-2009 05:40 PM

Is it ok to ride?

Well we went to go look at her on Friday and she had a limp (we are guessing from kicking the pole trying to kick the horse on the other side). I haven't been out there today to see if she still has a limp. Is it safe to ride her? or should I just walk her around for a few days?

LeahKathleen 04-05-2009 05:43 PM

I would check for swelling and heat in the area that she is limping, and watch her closely. I would not ride her until the lameness goes away completely. If there is swelling, and/or heat, hose it down with cold water for 20 minutes a few times a day. Check on her several times a day to see if the swelling goes down or the limp goes away. If in two or three days she is still swelling and is lame, have the vet out.

Good luck, hope it's nothing serious.

OnlySamwise 04-05-2009 06:00 PM

Ok thanks. On Friday I did feel her leg and her other one. It was maybe just a touch warmer than the other and I'm pretty sure not swollen. A guy there said his horse does that all the time and to just walk her around for a few days till she's better. I hope it's not anything serious too :-(. Thanks.

LeahKathleen 04-05-2009 06:08 PM

If it happened Friday, it may not have had time to swell yet when you checked it last. If you felt heat, chances are, it did swell a bit the next day. I'd get out there and check on her today, and just don't ride until you're sure she's sound. Since it happened Friday, I'd give it just a day or two more to go away, and if not, call your vet.

ETA: Check her feet for soreness of any kind, or absesses, also. If you see anything abnormal in her feet, call your farrier or vet.

OnlySamwise 04-06-2009 04:49 AM

We did go out today and she was putting weight on it but swollen a little. Yesterday someone went to check for us and they said it was really swollen so I guess when we did find her Friday it just happened. Ya I won't ride her until she's completely well. It looked fine. Thanks for all your help :)

luvs2ride1979 04-06-2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeahKathleen (Post 283202)
I would check for swelling and heat in the area that she is limping, and watch her closely. I would not ride her until the lameness goes away completely. If there is swelling, and/or heat, hose it down with cold water for 20 minutes a few times a day. Check on her several times a day to see if the swelling goes down or the limp goes away. If in two or three days she is still swelling and is lame, have the vet out.

Good luck, hope it's nothing serious.

Yup, agree 100%! That is exactly the advice I was going to give.

I'd also check her feet closely, to make sure they're no rock or gravel stuck in there, or heat from an impending abscess.

luvs2ride1979 04-06-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnlySamwise (Post 283491)
We did go out today and she was putting weight on it but swollen a little. Yesterday someone went to check for us and they said it was really swollen so I guess when we did find her Friday it just happened. Ya I won't ride her until she's completely well. It looked fine. Thanks for all your help :)

You do need to go out and cold hose the leg. Run water on it for 10-15 minutes. I'd give her some bute for the swelling. If she's stalled or in a small outdoor pen and you can go out the next day, I would poultice and wrap her leg too.

LeahKathleen 04-06-2009 10:16 PM

I agree, it needs to be hosed down and possibly wrapped. If there's swelling still on Monday and it happened Friday, have the vet out if it doesn't go away by tomorrow. That's 5 days lame - she needs to be looked at.

Best of luck!

OnlySamwise 04-09-2009 01:11 AM

Well she stopped limping on Sunday. Today it was just a touch bigger than her other leg. Everyday we've been hosing it down for 20 min. She's acting normal and everything and her feet seem fine. I'm not too worried about it so I think she'll be fine. I'm just giving you guys an update. Thanks for everything again :).

LeahKathleen 04-09-2009 01:19 AM

Thanks for the update. Glad to know that she's not limping anymore, and that you're hosing for the swelling. Some Bute might bring the swelling down a bit as well. :]