The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Pleasure Headset (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/pleasure-headset-255018/)

BuntEquestrian 08-13-2013 04:20 PM

Pleasure Headset

Hi everyone:)
Alright so my Appaloosa and I have recently started training more and more for our pleasure and equitation classes and he's great, I just have a few questions..
So when you look at AQHA or ApHA shows (breed shows) they all have a particular headset (pleasure headset), and I'm just working on improving my horses. Now he's really good at it, it's basically his natural headset. He's a pro when we're working on western, but when we're doing English he does this weird thing where he drops his head into the proper headset, but then his really rounds his neck and his nose is practically between his knees. Keep in mind I'm not pulling or wiggling the reins or anything, they go completley slack when he does this and he just holds it... He only does it at the trot to, his walk and canter are really nice. He also does this when I'm lunging him in a surcingale.. I'm not really sure what to do about it.. I praise him highly when he has his head in the right place but when he rounds his neck, I try to gently pull him up but he just kinds of lifts his nose to his chest, then puts his head in the air, then gets the right headset for a second and drops back into this weird rounding thing. I'm not really sure what to do about it... Any ideas?
Thank you!

CLaPorte432 08-13-2013 05:22 PM

893 Attachment(s)
My mare would do the same thing. she is a race bred quarter horse, no pleasure breeding what-so-ever. And she had a Hus to the extreme headset. My trainer was baffled. she suggested that every time she dropped her head too far, to lift my reins up into the air and get her head back up. Not just the reins, just lift my hands and have her head follow my hands up. Being consistent is key.

It worked for mare and she no longer carries her head in that weird fashion.
Posted via Mobile Device

BuntEquestrian 08-13-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 3341634)
My mare would do the same thing. she is a race bred quarter horse, no pleasure breeding what-so-ever. And she had a Hus to the extreme headset. My trainer was baffled. she suggested that every time she dropped her head too far, to lift my reins up into the air and get her head back up. Not just the reins, just lift my hands and have her head follow my hands up. Being consistent is key.

It worked for mare and she no longer carries her head in that weird fashion.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you for this advice and I will definetly try to exagerate my hands more because when I tried to get his head up he would just bend it in more. Thank you!