The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Trotting gaited horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/trotting-gaited-horses-25503/)

Sissimut-icehestar 04-05-2009 06:31 PM

Trotting gaited horses?

Do those of you who ride gaited horses trot them?

Personally I think I spend just about as much time in tölt that I do in trot. Like I've stated before I'd like my horse to have as many gait as possible. And here trot is even a part the gaiting shows, so if you want to be successful you'll defnintly have to work your horse on trot.

How is it where you are?

Barbarosa 04-06-2009 05:12 AM

Sissy, I trot Fras sometimes too. It devlopes muscle groups they dont use walking or in racking gates, or loping. It in no way affects her 4-beat gait just another speed. Makes her very well rounded:-)

CloudsMystique 04-06-2009 05:24 AM

I agree with Barbarosa. I trot my Paso Fino sometimes because it helps him build different muscles. He still gaits perfectly when I ask him to.

My Fox Trotter won't trot at all, and I wouldn't want her to, because I'm almost positive she would try to stop gaiting if she learned to.

Zab 04-07-2009 06:32 PM

I'd trot my standie if I just could figure how to trot him without loosing his gait :P

At the moment he gaits nicely, but I can't for my life bring him to trot.. and the times he easily trotted, e was difficult to keep in rack.. gah!

I've found a way to get him back to the gait if he starts trotting, but I need a way to get him to trot when hes gaiting.. :/ Maybe then I can either teach him the different cues, r it'll come naturally when I know how to get what.. xD

Vidaloco 04-07-2009 07:05 PM

Vida doesn't trot very well either. There was awhile I was letting her canter a lot and then started having a hard time getting her back to a smooth gait. Its taken awhile with lots of half halts but she is getting better at going from canter to gait to canter.
I can see where it can be a problem if you let them do it to much, they get lazy.
I've known people with TWH's who couldn't trot or wouldn't. Some who couldn't canter.

walkinthewalk 04-09-2009 03:47 PM

If it is within that gaited breed's standards to allow a trot then I would trot the horse.

It is not within the breed standards of the Tennessee Walking Horse to allow a trot, so none of mine are permitted to trot when being ridden.

Actually the only one that ever did want to trot under saddle, did so because his skeleton was out of adjustment. Once the chiropractor adjusted him, he never offered to trot under saddle again.

Under saddle being the operative. Oftentimes my two that do the running walk will mimic my trotting Arab if they are behind him in the pasture.

The TWH that does the stepping pace has never trotted a day in his life - even at liberty:-)

Audra0729 05-05-2009 03:00 PM

agreed with walkinthewalk, TWH's aren't suppost to trot so when they break into a trot (if they do) they are corrected and brought back to the gait. The gaited Saddlebreds on the other hand are allowed to trot. so it does just depend on the standards of the breed. I have no idea about the Paso standards but if it's in their standards, go for it, if not I wouldnt waste your time, If you go to show and they break into a trot, be prepared to lose some MAJOR points.

MN Tigerstripes 05-08-2009 11:09 AM

Hmm... I had/have 3 TWH growing up and one of them would NEVER trot and she could gait extremely fast too. The other two would trot or gait under saddle and at liberty. We never ran into any problems with it, but then again we didn't show them either.

Liv 05-13-2009 06:46 AM

I have 5 TWH, only two trot. One is my yearling, who only has done it at liberty, and my draft of a gelding who if you get him going faster than a walk, you're so thankful he's going fast you forget if it's a flat walk or a trot! He wasn't trained very well when he was young and has had owners who spoiled him. Every other TWH I have will NOT trot, even with me trying a few times. Some people break out the holy water if I say that I don't mind if my Walkers trot, so long as they go back into a gait again when I ask and are only trotting when I ask. I'd rather them develop those muscles.

g8ted4me 05-13-2009 04:05 PM

I have been discouraging my mare to trot under saddle as she is young and I want to still work on her gait first. She has been doing great, but I want her to know that under saddle I would like to gait and not trot at this point. If she begins trotting then I slow her down and ask for a gait again.