The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Riders Rasp (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/riders-rasp-25543/)

blossom856 04-06-2009 11:12 AM

Riders Rasp

RidersRasp? and Natural Hoof Care Company

I just saw this in a catalog:shock:
Why would anyone buy this? If you don't know how to trim feet then why would you need this? I certainly would'nt want to risk unbalancing my horses feet. My farrier is the only person I trust to touch my horses feet.

kitten_Val 04-06-2009 11:51 AM

Actually, I wouldn't agree. Sometime my horses feet chip off on top. I rasp the chips off and round the edge, so would be no new chipping until the next visit from my farrier. This way you won't unbalance their feet still you will keep them in decent shape.

Well, just on side note... :) I have a "normal" rasp to do that, and don't rasp on trail rides, but only in barn.

blossom856 04-06-2009 04:48 PM

Well you have to worry about those people who have the 'more is better' attitude.

kitten_Val 04-07-2009 07:52 AM

He-he-he. There are ALWAYS such people. Lol!

It's hard to imagine taking this thing out on trail ride, and somewhere in middle of park start rasping your tacked horse. That's just hilarious!

blossom856 04-07-2009 01:03 PM

Yeah, that would be a bit odd:D

FoxField 04-08-2009 07:21 AM

RidersRasp is not a trimming tool it is a maintenance tool for horse owners. People who would buy this tool? People who can not use a regular farriers rasp. People who pay attention to their horses hooves between farrier visits. RidersRasp has finish files, so you won't remove too much hoof wall. With RidersRasp you do not put the foot between your legs, you are beside the horse. Why didn't someone think of this tool before now? An emory board for the horse! Oh, and a Farrier invented it. Am I a RidersRasp expert or what? LOL

kitten_Val 04-08-2009 08:00 AM

I have nothing wrong with people using it, but from the look (and the way the guy shown him) it does look very uncomfortable for me to use. I'd never buy one myself, but just go with the normal farrier rasp. I also really prefer to see what I'm doing when rasping the wall off... :D

xilikeggs0 04-08-2009 01:10 PM

I would buy one, but a friend of mine is going to teach me how to shoe/trim horses this summer, so I'll just wait until then.

g8ted4me 04-10-2009 04:18 PM

I think the idea of this is great...the only thing is- have you seen the price of the actual rasp? The cost of the replacement files is exactly the same price as buying a new riders rasp????:shock:
I will stick to using my regular rasp for doing a touch up of chips or something in between trims.

NorthernMama 04-10-2009 04:46 PM

What I don't like about this marketing scheme is that it implies that with this tool, your horse will have good hoof balance and care. It's not the tool that does this, but the caregiver. Sounds like one of those early morning info-mercials to me.