The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Wearing riding attire after riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/wearing-riding-attire-after-riding-255434/)

Fayewokf 08-13-2013 10:23 PM

Wearing riding attire after riding

If you have to go somewhere say grocery shopping, coffee, etc, do you change out of your breeches? Take off your half chaps? Or leave them on?
I find my paddock boots very ugly so I keep the half chap on but I do get some stares

BlueDiamonds218 08-13-2013 10:28 PM

I go to the store with my dirty clothes on all the time..... but then around here most people are used to seeing dirty pants and shirts, sunburnt skin, and messy boots! Mostly construction crews or men that move snow but the occasional cowboy/ cowgirl walks in with pants stuffed in boots, dirty, sweaty and overall nasty smelling and looking.....so dont feel bad, ignore the looks. I just say they are jealous of my boots and how i can pull them off so good! lol

demonwolfmoon 08-13-2013 10:50 PM

Im not sure why anyone would want to though. I can smell the horse all over me....id be assuming everyone else would too! Not to mention the hair that gets on shirtsleeves in winter!

NaeNae87 08-13-2013 10:55 PM

I go down to the shops all the time in riding clothes. Mostly its grocery shopping, so it doesn't really matter if I am dirty.

If I am going clothes shopping, I will shower and change.

Viranh 08-13-2013 11:02 PM

I do it all the time, but I think the barn smells great and I do not care what other people think of me. My riding clothes are pretty comfortable too. If you want to, do it. I've never heard of a grocery store throwing someone out for being slightly dirty.

AQHSam 08-13-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viranh (Post 3345674)
I do it all the time, but I think the barn smells great and I do not care what other people think of me. My riding clothes are pretty comfortable too. If you want to, do it. I've never heard of a grocery store throwing someone out for being slightly dirty.

No way. Not after peopleofwalmart.com. i wouldn't believe it.

This is a funny thread. Because in the western discipline, I can't think of anybody who stops to change after leaving the barn for just store type errands. maybe it is the jean mentality, and you are in them all the time. But, yea. I've left the barn and gone to get something to eat on the way home without even thinking that I just scooped poop in my boots and rode for 2 hrs.

Interesting.....

smrobs 08-13-2013 11:29 PM

I suppose it depends on your location as well.

I can go just about anywhere around here with my dirty jeans, cowboy hat, and spurs on and I don't get a second look. BUT, if I were to go to the nearest big city and walk into a restaurant looking like that, I can imagine the funny looks I'd get.

Anyone wearing breeches around here would get looks simply because folks who ride English are few and far between.

waresbear 08-13-2013 11:30 PM

Yes, I stop at the coffee place or the grocery store but that's about it. It is after riding lessons and my trailer & horse are with me, in the parking lot, not the store! LOL!

AQHSam 08-13-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 3345986)
I suppose it depends on your location as well.

I can go just about anywhere around here with my dirty jeans, cowboy hat, and spurs on and I don't get a second look. BUT, if I were to go to the nearest big city and walk into a restaurant looking like that, I can imagine the funny looks I'd get.

Anyone wearing breeches around here would get looks simply because folks who ride English are few and far between.

it's almost too quiet around these parts if you don't hear the clink clink of someone's spurs walking through the store!

Chevaux 08-13-2013 11:47 PM

Since my usual garb is tee shirts, jeans and boots, I'm technically always dressed for riding whether I'm actually doing it or not. When I go to 'town', I wear my farm attire as it's a rural community and that is not out of the norm. For the 'city' however I scrub up and put on clean jeans (although when in there I do notice folks that do construction work, etc., are walking around in their work duds).

I remember a friend telling me one time she had to stop by a drug store in the city and didn't bother changing from her breeches (she was out of her boots and in runners which further added to the look) - that definitely got her stares.