The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Henri de Rivel and Crosby Close Contact Saddles (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/henri-de-rivel-crosby-close-contact-25558/)

shadowsgirl 04-06-2009 04:10 PM

Henri de Rivel and Crosby Close Contact Saddles

First of all... Hello! I'm new to this forum. Apparently I registered awhile ago, but didn't remember doing it. Anyways, I'm glad to be on.

I'm looking for some input on a jumping saddle! I'm currently taking hunter/jumper lessons at a local farm. I've been riding/training/working with horses for over 20 yrs, but this is my first good experience with the hunter/jumper world. The farm I'm at has the lesson people in old wintec A/P's. Obviously this is hard to jump in. I find that the back of the saddle comes up and gets me over bigger jumps. Also, the synthetic material makes my crotch hurt after an hour of hard riding. A friend loaned me some breeches and that helped, but I'm still unhappy with the lesson saddles.

So, that lead me to the option of getting my own jumping saddle. I just looked around and it seems after looking around that for less then $500 I should be able to pick up a decent used close contact. The ones I like are the Henri de Rivel and there is also a Crosby Prix Des Nations for sale in my area that I'm very interested in.

Anyone had any experience with these brands? Or have any input in my search?

LauraB 04-06-2009 08:39 PM

I have had a HDR for almost 10 years and I like it although I have only done a small amount of jumping in it. It has held up great and still looks and feels good.

appylover31803 04-06-2009 08:51 PM

I have a crosby prix de nations. I got it used for only $200 and it's in great condition. Mine doesn't have any knee rolls and I feel it made feeling my horse better.

Unforunately, I have yet to jump in it, but I find it comforable.

farmpony84 04-06-2009 08:56 PM

I have an HDR. Mine is the senior pro version I think and I feel like the leather is kind of slippery and the pommel is kind of high... A friend of mine has the HDR Advantage, which is actually a little less expensive... I like it better....

shadowsgirl 04-06-2009 11:17 PM

Thank you for the info. I'm hoping the crosby comes through. It sounds like a nice saddle and it's local so I can try it out.

Pally 04-07-2009 12:20 PM

The old Crosby's are really well made and will last a million years (hence why you still see so many of them around). However, they are flat as a pancake (both on the flaps and seat) and some people will say hard. Personally, I like this...too much padding bothers me. HDR are the opposite, quite padded up with blocks and such. So there is going to be a large personal preference difference. If you can't try these exact saddles before you buy, I would at least try to sit in some of both "type" and see if you like the old school reaaaally close contact, or the more modern type.

shadowsgirl 04-08-2009 01:57 AM

Well, I think I'm going to try the Crosby. The fact that it's local is very appealing to me. Since it's local I can possibly take it on trial. That way my teacher can see it. She's asking $450. Does that sound reasonable? She said she paid $2K for it new. I'm waiting for pictures.

rider4life422 04-11-2009 09:50 PM

I know of someone selling a crosby for $500 but I don't know where you are located.