The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Opinions on slant loads? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/opinions-slant-loads-25577/)

RubaiyateBandit 04-06-2009 09:19 PM

Opinions on slant loads?

We have a three horse slant-load trailer, and I'd actually consider selling it if it weren't for the removable dividers and collapsible rear tack. There's just so many problems I have with it... Three of my horses are just too big for the stalls, and even the 14 hand mare gets claustrophobic. If the rear tack wasn't collapsible, Ruby and the two youngsters are the only ones that would actually fit, much less load through such a small opening, plus there'd be no room to load that last horse and get out of the way if it panicked.
On top of that, we've had Ruby fall down in the trailer (she normally travels rather well) and unable to get back up... the trailer shook at a stop and I went back to check, and she was getting kicked by the horse next to her! We were just lucky that she was the last horse... I have no idea how long it would've taken were she in the front or middle.
We also have two stock trailers, and have never had an issue with them.

At any rate, I'm just curious... what exactly is the draw to slant loads? The only positive I've found to mine is that it's enclosed and has a tack room in the front... both of which are options I've found on stock trailers as well.

amandaandeggo 04-07-2009 03:15 PM

if you wanna sell it let me know. it's exactly what I'm looking for.

mls 04-07-2009 03:19 PM

I love my slant load.

All brands are made differently. A friend loved mine but didn't want to pony up the same $ so she bought a less $ brand. Her 16 hand horse only fit in one of her stalls whereas he could stand in any of the stalls in my trailer.

danastark 04-07-2009 06:07 PM

The draw of slant loads is a study done where they let a horse loose in a stock trailer and drove around while a camera filmed the horse. The diagonal position/slant is where the horse naturally stood on it's own. I think the option of removing the dividers is attractive too.

My 3 horse slant does not have the rear tack compartment and I don't want one there either, too confining. You should check how tall/wide your trailer is. Mine is 7' tall, 6 1/2' wide and comfortably fits 3 average-sized horses. I love my trailer but need a new one because it is not wide enough for my 17.3 draft cross. I can only haul 2 horses when I take him. I give the regular horse the front stall and then my big guy gets the back 2 stalls.

Hope you find something you want.

RubaiyateBandit 04-07-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amandaandeggo (Post 284340)
if you wanna sell it let me know. it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Sorry, but I'm not selling it; I just use it without the dividers and with the rear tack folded. :-P But if you were in the area, I know of a place that sells all sorts just like it for <$1,500-ish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by danastark (Post 284494)
The draw of slant loads is a study done where they let a horse loose in a stock trailer and drove around while a camera filmed the horse. The diagonal position/slant is where the horse naturally stood on it's own. I think the option of removing the dividers is attractive too.

My 3 horse slant does not have the rear tack compartment and I don't want one there either, too confining. You should check how tall/wide your trailer is. Mine is 7' tall, 6 1/2' wide and comfortably fits 3 average-sized horses. I love my trailer but need a new one because it is not wide enough for my 17.3 draft cross. I can only haul 2 horses when I take him. I give the regular horse the front stall and then my big guy gets the back 2 stalls.

Hope you find something you want.

Really? I've never heard of that study. :shock:
I think my trailer is a little over 7' tall, because one of our stocks is 7' and 2-Pak's ears brush the ceiling, but in the slant, they don't. I'm not sure how wide, though... maybe 6'. Not wide enough for 2-Pak to comfortably turn around in.

And I'm not really in the market for a new trailer (unless, of course, the perfect one falls into my lap for way-cheap. :lol: ), since we have three trailers as it is. I usually just use a different trailer depending on which horses I'm hauling.

4hoofs4Him 04-07-2009 06:23 PM

I have an Adventure by trails west, a two horse slant loader. It's my absolute dream horse trailer. The tack room is in the front and has TONS of room. I actually have ALL of my tack in it... enough for three horses:-)

It's the MX edition fits my friends 17+hand horse, and is just magnificent.

I can't even describe how wonderful I think it is!!

wild_spot 04-07-2009 07:23 PM

Angle load floats are the most popular float/truck over here. It's generally believed that most horses travel better, weight is more evenly distributed, etc.

We're looking for a 3 horse anlge load at the moment, as an upgrade from our 2 horse straight load :]

My2Geldings 04-09-2009 08:44 PM

I don't like them. Never have, never will. The only good thing I see about them is that it divides the weight better over the axles but I find they make the horse stand in an uncomfortable position, you can't monitor them thru the front window and are to tight for most horses.

eventerdrew 04-10-2009 07:16 PM

I absolutely despise slant loads. I have a 17hh WB mare and my mare feels extremely claustrophobic in them. I've seen alot of big horses get hurt when something goes wrong and the rear tack won't collapse.

i don't see what the draw to slant loads is. all you're doing is squishing your horse like a sardine and making him feel pretty darn uncomfortable.

Straight loads all the way. I just bought a 2003 Trail-et two horse straight load and love it!!!

CheyAut 04-14-2009 08:18 AM

LOVE my two horse slant. Will never buy a straight. I have horses that will NOT load in a slant, but load beautifully in a slant. I also will not buy one with rear tack (maybe if it's removable, then I'd never put it in) as I don't like how it makes the entrance more narrow... My horses don't like it, either ;) Plus, having the divider open in my 2 horse slant makes a perfect stall for a mini or two that get along really well at competitions ;) None of my horses have probs fitting in my slant (that includes a 16.1h TB)