The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Pavement or Gravel? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/pavement-gravel-256026/)

BuntEquestrian 08-14-2013 05:39 PM

Pavement or Gravel?

Hi there :)
So I have a question for y'all..
When you pull up to a proffesional equine establishment with your horse trailer, do you prefer the driveway to be gravel or pavement? Now I understand pavement is the smoother ride, but I'm also talking appearance wise.. And I'm talking well kept, smooth, weed free gravel driveway..
So?

Koolio 08-14-2013 07:44 PM

Very few equine facilities around here have paved driveways. Depending on your winters, pavement + frost heaves + horse trailer traffic = crumbles, cracks and and ruts. Gravel is much easier to regrade after rain or snow, so it can be kept looking nice for longer and for far less money.

Phly 08-14-2013 11:49 PM

I could care less either way really.

Outta curiousity, why do ya ask?
Posted via Mobile Device

stevenson 08-15-2013 12:03 AM

I have gravel. i am not in an area that freezes. I wish I had pavement/asphalt. Easier on hooves if you lead across it. No picking rocks out of hooves, and it seems as soon as we get a houdini thats one of the first places they go stroll.

usandpets 08-15-2013 12:10 AM

Paved looks better but costs more to put in and upkeep. I think all around here have gravel driveways.
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 08-15-2013 01:16 AM

Gravel. Not only is the upkeep much easier, but if the horses ever have to walk on/across the driveway, every step on pavement is an accident waiting to happen if they are wearing shoes.

One spook in hand can lead to a slip and an injury that can end a horse's career or life.

natisha 08-15-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 3356810)
Gravel. Not only is the upkeep much easier, but if the horses ever have to walk on/across the driveway, every step on pavement is an accident waiting to happen if they are wearing shoes.

One spook in hand can lead to a slip and an injury that can end a horse's career or life.

I agree, plus less chance of a horse slipping its back legs under the trailer while unloading.