The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Dying Horses for Speed Events? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/dying-horses-speed-events-25603/)

Sullivan17 04-07-2009 01:51 PM

Dying Horses for Speed Events?

Okay.. so this is gonna sounds kind of strang:-P But I show speed with my Paint horse Sadie, Our colors are Pink, and Purple.. Well iv ben thinking of ways of coloring her hair.. first i thought her hole body.. and decided nope.. not gonna do that.. there is just to many risks of her skin not taking well to the die or whatever.. so now Im thinking only her mane.. Basically putting it in Highlights in Pink and Purple so when i braid it they will be all colorful :D
She has a "very" thick and long mane.. so i have to braid it when we do speed or even trail ride because she works up a sweat really easily.
There is this type of hair dye called Manic Panic.. I have used it in my hair before :-P but They have used it on Horses, Dogs, Cats, Ferrets, Rabbits, Skunks and just about anything!! Think it would work??.. once again I would ONLY be using it on her mane..
Has anyone els dyed there horse or something for speed?? Just thinking of creative ways to stick out.. not that she already doesn't = )

I think Grooming would be the right place to put this lol

KTSpeedhorse 04-07-2009 02:01 PM

Just be very careful not to ge this in her eyes. Manic Panic is a deposit only color (stain) it has no harsh amonia or anything like that. I am a cosmetologist and I dont think this will harm the horse at all. Note that it only deposits color so if there are dark streeks in the mane naturally, it will not color much. It will stain the light colored hair. Have fun : )

Sullivan17 04-07-2009 02:09 PM

thanks = )
Well.. her hole mane is White... except for her foretop and Tail.. which is brown.. so i wouldn't be doing that lol

KTSpeedhorse 04-07-2009 02:16 PM

Just another tip when you decide to do this. Take some vasoline or something like that and stick some saran wrap or something to your horses neck under where you are coloring so that it will not stain her neck. you can also use the wrap around each streak so that they do not bleed together. I want to see pictures when you're done : )

Sullivan17 04-07-2009 02:30 PM

will do!! = )
We were even thinking about taking a trash bag, and cutting a hole in the other end... putting it around her neck and then cutting a slit for her mane to come through... we'll figure it out tho!!... after she's done shedding we'll have to try doing it lol

mls 04-07-2009 02:34 PM

Why not just get the spray hair color? Just like hair spray only it's a temporary color.

KTSpeedhorse 04-07-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 284247)
Why not just get the spray hair color? Just like hair spray only it's a temporary color.

I would not use the spray color. It has a large amount of chemicals that the horse and you will breathe. The Manic Panic or Punky Color is paste that is relatively safe for both of you. Plus the spray on will flake off and could cause irritation in the ears and eyes. Just my opinion :)

mls 04-07-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KTSpeedhorse (Post 284254)
I would not use the spray color. It has a large amount of chemicals that the horse and you will breathe. The Manic Panic or Punky Color is paste that is relatively safe for both of you. Plus the spray on will flake off and could cause irritation in the ears and eyes. Just my opinion :)

The other stuff has no chemicals? Interesting.

The spray does not flake off. We've used it for years for the parade and rodeo horses.

KTSpeedhorse 04-07-2009 03:19 PM

The paste has less chemicals that would be an irritant to the horse is all I am trying to say. I have also used the spray and when it dries it comes off like dust. However, the spray does come out faster. There are pro's and con's to the spray and the paste. The paste dye has no amonia (this is the bad stuff that causes irritiation and some alergic reactions) Manic Panic is vegitable based and vertually safe. Even vegan approved. Not that I am vegan just that they market it that way. So, no it has no HARSH chemicals that you will find in the aerosol spray colors.

morganshow11 04-07-2009 03:32 PM

I would prefer spray paint more than actual dye!