The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   lost my confidence (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/lost-my-confidence-25620/)

lucyjay11 04-07-2009 05:22 PM

lost my confidence

years ago i used to be quite a good jumper representing my riding club and jumping 4ft 8 on a 14.1 connemara pony, however, now i have a new horse, and although we havent jumped together yet, i get really anxious and feel sick at the prospect of jumping a course, i even get nervous jumping 1ft!! i find this really fustrating as i know i am capable of it, my old riding instructor thinks my old pony has put the thought of refusals in my head as she had quite a fast paced jump and yoiu werent quite sure whether she would jump it although she always did, she thinks that this has my sub conscious mind think that every horse i ride will refuse, please help me as i would love to start jumping on my thoroughbred as he loves it, just want to start really learning with him, HELP ME!!!

xx chico 04-07-2009 05:33 PM

If you have any other good horses (like a friends horse maybe), that never refuses and is a good jumper, you should see if you could ride them.

I found this helped alot when I was at a riding school taking lessons. If I got nervous about jumping my coach would put me on a calm, good horse to build my confidence up.

I'm sure theres lots of other ways too, but this is the only thing I can think of right now lol.

rider4life422 04-11-2009 09:17 PM

I agree, if you have access to a good ole schooling horse that helps a ton. I just got over my year long battle with my loss of confidence and it was all thanks to my trusty buddy who I originally learned to ride on. Riding him has really built my confidence back up.
My trainer started us off just including ground poles in the ring and we would just include them into our path. Then we went to ground poles inbetween standards, to a little cross rail, to a small verticle and so on. This who process lasted over about 4 lessons, only moving up when we felt good. Sometimes just getting over one little x can show you that you are more than able to handle it. I know with my previous horse sometimes I just had to push myself and once we went over it once it never bothered me again. I had a really great trainer who knew when to push and when to back off. She never pushed me beyond what we were able to do.
Good luck! I know how incredibly fustrating it is, I dealt with it for a year and pretty much quit riding (my problem was due to a stupid injury that put me out for 6 months so a little different of a situation), but I am on my old schoolmaster now and loving it fully. I know you can do it! Good luck with your boy!

bilyeuamber 04-11-2009 10:25 PM

I would work more on the horse that you are not as confident on. I would do lots of balancing exercises, trail rides (if you have access), ground work etc. You need to know this horse in all aspects and feel good on him. I had a horse that I did not feel all that good on, and I started doing a variety of things with her in the saddle and on the ground. I did a lot of balancing exercises and things like that until I knew her and knew every move that she made. Her and I have come a long way since then. She is now my top winning competition horse! Good luck!

MIEventer 04-12-2009 11:09 AM

98% of refusals, and flubs in the arena, is rider error.

Spruce Meadows did this really need scientific documentary on what hosres see when they are jumping. Since they are a huge Stadium Jumping Fascillity for GP level rides and world known, it fits that they did it about jumping.

Horses cannot see the fences when they are a stride or two away from the fence.

When the horse is approaching a fence, about 5/6 strides away, they see the fence as 2

When the horse gets closer, the fence now is seen as 1.

When the horse is about 2-1 strides from the fence, the horse can no longer see it - that is why it is soooo important for the rider to be correct and efficiant in the saddle.

When you are going over 1 fence, and on your way to the next - that is where the horse gages the fence, the take off point - and relies 100% on their rider after that.

If you are not on a horse, that does the job for you and covers your patooie, and if you make a mistake in the saddle telling your horse that you are unsure about doing the fence, you are going to have a refusal.

Most riders are fortunate enough to have a bold and confident horse, that will jump anything regardless of how horrible their riders are - these horses have their place, but the horses who do not cover their riders arse, are the horses who teach solidity, functionallity, efficiancy.

Sounds to me, that you need to go back to the lunge line, with no reins - and really work on yourself. Work on your seat, your legs and where you are in the saddle - on a horse that is a babysitter. A "been there done that" mount. Nothing wrong with this, this is not belittleing - this is a confidence builder.

This makes you focus on YOU and where YOU are in the saddle and YOUR correctness, while on a horse that does its job, regardless of where you are in the saddle.

Then merge to trot poles, and merge to cavaletti's - all on the lunge line. Learn where you put yourself while on approach to the fence. Learn how to be functional while on approach to the fence. Learn how to be solid and anchored on approach to the fence.

You have to realize how important your job is while in the saddle. Odd sare, that this is not your pony's fault, your pony is only reflecting what you are doing in the saddle, on approach to a fence. So you need to work on you first to get past this bump in the road.

I would love to see video footage of you or pictures, while jumping so I can see what is going on.

Trissacar 04-20-2009 12:18 AM

Well first tell me why YOU think you are nervous.