The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Drifter (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/drifter-256242/)

DriftingShadow 08-15-2013 02:08 AM

Drifter

7 Attachment(s)
How's he coming along? The top line is still a work in progress. He has insanely high withers though, so I don't think it will ever look entirely even.

After owning him for a while now I have my ideas about whats good about him and whats bad about him, and I would love to hear expert opinions :-) It also helps me learn more about conformation.

Attachment 256042

Attachment 256050

Attachment 256058

Attachment 256066

Attachment 256074

Attachment 256082

Attachment 256090

LovesMyDunnBoy 08-16-2013 04:59 AM

Wow he's gorgeous. I'm not great at conformation, but with these pictures I'm *thinking* he's pigeon toed (toes in) up front, I'd like thicker neck but then again I like heavy looking horses. His hock height seems decent, but he's kinda straight in the rear. I like his croup I think, but his (loin?) Seems weak. The area where a hunter's bump would be, I'm sorry I don't know the correct name!

I like him, I wouldn't mind owning him! :D

I'd suggest getting some better pictures too!
Posted via Mobile Device

DriftingShadow 08-16-2013 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovesMyDunnBoy (Post 3367850)
Wow he's gorgeous. I'm not great at conformation, but with these pictures I'm *thinking* he's pigeon toed (toes in) up front, I'd like thicker neck but then again I like heavy looking horses. His hock height seems decent, but he's kinda straight in the rear. I like his croup I think, but his (loin?) Seems weak. The area where a hunter's bump would be, I'm sorry I don't know the correct name!

I like him, I wouldn't mind owning him! :D

I'd suggest getting some better pictures too!
Posted via Mobile Device

I know the pictures werent the best, I meant to grab new ones and forgot so just used recent ones I had.

But you are correct! He is indeed pigeon toed up front. I'm not sure what the area you are talking about is called either but he does have what I assume is an old hunter's bump injury. So maybe that is adding to the weakness you see?

The other faults I believe he has: he has a long back and I believe he might be roach backed but I am still a little new to figuring out what exactly that means. I also believe he is bench kneed in the front. He has insanely high/narrow TB withers and a back that is extra hard to fit a saddle too.

But he gets me front point A to point B (and manages to mostly stay sound while doing it haha) so thats what really counts in the end, right :D

DriftingShadow 08-16-2013 05:15 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here you go Dunny! These pics might be better suited :)

Attachment 257338

Attachment 257346

Attachment 257354

Attachment 257362

Attachment 257370

LovesMyDunnBoy 08-16-2013 05:20 AM

When I say weak, I'm meaning longish. It is called the loin *thank you Google! Lol* His back also seemed long but I wasn't sure with the pictures. He sure is handsome though!

Pigeon toed isn't a huge deal. My friend bought a 20 year old mare who used to run barrels for years and she was pigeon toed more than your boy. But she did have authritis (sp?) And we couldn't pick up her left hoof all the way. But if she could run barrels and be mostly sound, I'm sure he'll be fine for low impact.

He's very handsome!
Posted via Mobile Device

LovesMyDunnBoy 08-16-2013 05:24 AM

Those are better! I like his neck better in these pictures, and I don't think his back is really too long. Maybe a tad, maybe you're seeing the weak loin like me! I like his front pasterns, but his back ones are throwing me off or maybe it's his feet?
Posted via Mobile Device

DriftingShadow 08-16-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovesMyDunnBoy (Post 3367898)
When I say weak, I'm meaning longish. It is called the loin *thank you Google! Lol* His back also seemed long but I wasn't sure with the pictures. He sure is handsome though!

Pigeon toed isn't a huge deal. My friend bought a 20 year old mare who used to run barrels for years and she was pigeon toed more than your boy. But she did have authritis (sp?) And we couldn't pick up her left hoof all the way. But if she could run barrels and be mostly sound, I'm sure he'll be fine for low impact.

He's very handsome!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you! I am very partial to him myself :-)

I had hoped to turn him into a low level eventer but that just wasnt in the cards for us. He is more suited/happier doing 'ranch style' work. So he now gets to chase cows to his hearts content and be my trusty trail guy.

He was bred/trained originally for barrels, but he is 16.2 and just can't turn fast enough. Or well, my serious barrel friends say he cant. Its plenty fast enough for me. I entered the trot barrels once at a fun show and and as soon as he saw them at the end of the chute he was off like a rocket. I was off like a rocket too :lol: :oops:

He didn't even stop for me. Just ran the pattern and then came back like, "that was fun! Whyd you get off??" :wink:

DriftingShadow 08-16-2013 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovesMyDunnBoy (Post 3367906)
Those are better! I like his neck better in these pictures, and I don't think his back is really too long. Maybe a tad, maybe you're seeing the weak loin like me! I like his front pasterns, but his back ones are throwing me off or maybe it's his feet?
Posted via Mobile Device

I've always thought something was up with back pasterns too. Maybe someone else will chime in with what they think!

He also has a lot of hind end problems which I would be curious to know whether that would factor in with the weak loin area.

LovesMyDunnBoy 08-16-2013 05:38 AM

Taller horses in barrels are good in big pens where they can get their stride up, because they usually can't turn as hard. My lesson horse for barrels is 16.2, but he's got a huge motor unlike your boy. Whatever makes him happy! :) he'll be fine for trails I'm sure. I love a bay/brown with facial marking but no socks. He's got a super cute face! I wish you luck with him lamness problems, someone more experienced should chime in soon!
Posted via Mobile Device

Tryst 08-16-2013 11:59 AM

I would suggest a chiropractor if he hasn't seen one. His looks to be out in the back or the hips, possibly leading to his soundness issues. I do not see a roach, but do see a slightly long back with weak and long coupling. Hocks and knees are tall. Needs muscling, especially along the topline. Shoulder and pasterns are both a bit upright. Neck is a good length, but ties in low. High withers (which you are quite aware of). Kind expression. Feet need attention.

Looks more TB type than QH to me.