The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dying a horse? =P

4K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Wallaby 
#1 ·
Has anybody used whitening shampoo to dye their horse blue (since it will turn them blue if you leave it on for too long)? I'd really like to try doing that to Lacey becuase she loves getting baths and I think it'd be really cute if I just left some white stars or something on her rear... But would it be bad for her? I wouldn't be doing it until she's shed out completely or May, which ever comes first. I was also thinking of getting some of that sparkly hoof polish and basically playing princesses and unicorns. Haha, she puts up with so much.

#2 ·
I've seen horses pink because of the shampoo too lol.

As for the sparkly hoof polish, are you talking about twinkle toes? I've heard you have to be careful with that, apparently it blocks the hoof from breathing properly or something. I'm sure once in awhile it doesn't really matter but, I just thought I should put that out there :)

#3 ·
Ooooh! Pink might be even better! Do you know what brands of shampoo turn them pink...by any chance? Yeah, I was thinking Twinkle Toes. I'd probably only use it on her once or maybe twice, if I get pulled into riding her in a parade this summer.

#8 ·
I know twinkle toes also has this sparkly gel that they sell, and you can buy stencils and do little designs (if you dont want to do the whole body).
They also have a sparkly spray that you can use in their mane and tail :)

#9 ·
I would look more for the items like ilovelucy said. Look for paints or hair dyes that are animal safe. I would advise against leaving the shampoo on them to dye the hair. That has the potential to cause some really bad skin problems and may be harmful to the horse. If you find something that works, I would love to see some pictures.

#12 ·
At my stable most of us use 'Glo White'. :)
It's pretty much purple goo that makes all white horsies really clean and well, white. :P
But if you don't rub it in properly/wash it out properly, it tends to leave the horses looking purple. Which is really lame if you have a show to go to, but hilarious if it just a normal day. :D

My 'ex'-friend used to use that coloured hairspray (know that stuff? They use it at like school carnivals and like shows and stuff) on her white ponies many and tail to make him look like a My Little Pony.
It used to make his hair horrible and dry, if she didn't wash it out it would start falling out. :|
So do not use that! >-<

Have a good one.

#13 ·
i used quik silver all last year when i was showing a paint. It's dark purple and they warn about leaving it on too long. something came up once during a bath that i had to resolve and i accidently left it on him for more then 20 min! i was afraid i was going to be showing a purple/black horse but with some scrubbing it all came out and left him glowing white. so i don't think most whitening shampoos will be strong enough to really be too noticable. Although it WILL leave your fingernails and tips a slight blueish color making you look like you have you had a bit of frostbite....

#14 ·
i knew a lady who had a black horse with white scars on his legs and before shows she used to actually dye his legs completley black. she used some kind of non-toxic hair dye, not sure what kind though. but it did last for several weeks before fading. it's an idea.... although I'm not sure how much i recommend it. :)

#18 ·
Now that is a good idea... Does anybody know if kool-aid would be bad? I am for sure going to take pictures when I do it. It'll probably happen sometime early next month...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.