The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Thrush Prevention (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/thrush-prevention-25644/)

Angel_Leaguer 04-07-2009 10:19 PM

Thrush Prevention

So my Farrier was out today and said that April had slight cracking in her frogs and he said that I should use Kopertox once every week or two to help prevent her from getting thrush. Has anyone else done this? Does it work well? I really like my farrier and trust him so Im not doubting what he told me just wondering if anyone else does it.

Thanks!!!

english_rider144 04-07-2009 10:39 PM

thrush is a pain in the a$$. If your horse gets it, theres a nice solution. Its called Thrush Buster. Though its $12.49 a bottle.

webdawg 04-07-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by english_rider144 (Post 284753)
thrush is a pain in the a$$. If your horse gets it, theres a nice solution. Its called Thrush Buster. Though its $12.49 a bottle.

I agree. My horses had Thrush from all the rains and Thrush Buster cure it almost over night.

Walkamile 04-07-2009 10:56 PM

I've always used Thrush Buster, and then my farrier told me something very interesting. After attending a seminar about thrush and many other conditions caused by bacterias on the sole of the hoof, he gave me this info.

They learnt that anything with tea tree oil and or eucalyptus oil worked better in preventing and treating thrush and many other conditions caused by bacterias ect. Worked better than standard treatments including Thrush Buster, as these they have found are actually detrimental in the prevention and treatment of thrush. Also, doesn't touch any of the other ickies caused by bacteria on the sole.

Told me to use Vicks Vapor Rub (or one like it with the same active ingred). I did. It works great! It's cheap. Stays on wonderfully. Protects against other ickies . :shock:

So here's one gal that was a Thrush Buster believer who now uses Vicks Vapor Rub and is very happy as are her horses.

Just a thought for your consideration. :-)

appylover31803 04-08-2009 01:06 AM

Thanks for the info about vicks vapor rub!

When my horses have had thrush, I used Koppertox and while it worked, I felt it took a while and it stains everything.

I believe using Apple Cider Vinegar helps to prevent thrush.

Angel_Leaguer 04-08-2009 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkamile (Post 284767)
I've always used Thrush Buster, and then my farrier told me something very interesting. After attending a seminar about thrush and many other conditions caused by bacterias on the sole of the hoof, he gave me this info.

They learnt that anything with tea tree oil and or eucalyptus oil worked better in preventing and treating thrush and many other conditions caused by bacterias ect. Worked better than standard treatments including Thrush Buster, as these they have found are actually detrimental in the prevention and treatment of thrush. Also, doesn't touch any of the other ickies caused by bacteria on the sole.

Told me to use Vicks Vapor Rub (or one like it with the same active ingred). I did. It works great! It's cheap. Stays on wonderfully. Protects against other ickies . :shock:

So here's one gal that was a Thrush Buster believer who now uses Vicks Vapor Rub and is very happy as are her horses.

Just a thought for your consideration. :-)

Thanks for that info... I would have never thought of using it. I have been lucky *knock on wood* and have never had to deal with thrush so anything I can do to prevent it would be great.

luvs2ride1979 04-08-2009 09:26 AM

Vicks works well, I agree! It works for fungus, bacteria, and yeast problems, all of which can look like thrush.

Another thing to use is Hydrogen Peroxide. Put some in a spray bottle and spray the whole bottom of the foot. This works well for bacteria caused infections.

Sir Drake 04-08-2009 09:35 AM

I swear by thrush buster! Although it is a little pricey (got mine for about $10), I think its well worth it. I tried soaking his feet in apple cider vinegar, but I didn't see any change. Thrust buster goes a long way, too!
Just don't get any on your hands :D it stains really badly!

Peggysue 04-08-2009 10:23 AM

Thrush is casued from bad hoof form and weak immune system... and the condidtion but there normally has to be a weakness in all three for it to take hold...

Thrush buster is nice... as well as peroxide

mls 04-08-2009 10:38 AM

I like this answer. I avoid any 'treatment' whenever possible. If I need a treatment, I want to know it works instead of having the horse immune to it.

From abouthorse.com

Question: How can thrush be avoided?

Answer: Regular, frequent cleaning helps to remove the damp dirt and manure from the hooves, allows air (oxygen) to get into the affected areas, and helps keep the foot drier.
  • Keep the areas your horse stands in clean and dry. Remove manure, soiled bedding and spoiled hay.
  • Regular trimming helps overall hoof health. Proper trimming and shoeing helps prevent under-run or contracted heels and deep clefts where it is easier for thrush bacteria to hide.