The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Abcessing on both fronts.... Need Help. (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/abcessing-both-fronts-need-help-256498/)

spirit88 08-15-2013 02:07 PM

Abcessing on both fronts.... Need Help.

Ok my gelding has laminitis and has been fighting this battle now for months. Now he's abcessing on both fronts. Had vet out and it is in fact abcesses going on.

Been soaking both front now going on four days twice a day 20 minutes with epsom salt and warm water enough to cover all his hoof. So is there a better way to get abcesses to pop without soaking? Has to be something that doesn't require him holding up feet very long has to be a fast deal. He doesn't want to pickup feet very good right now he's in serious pain. Giving bute isn't an option he endsup with ulcers with in days of having it....been there done that. He just got healed up from a nasty bout of ulcers.

I didn't let vet go digging for abcesses don't care to have his soles full of holes there is more then 1 abcess going on.

Speed Racer 08-15-2013 02:11 PM

You either let the vet or farrier dig for them and burst them open, or you soak them. There is no fast and easy way when it comes to abscesses.

cowgirl4753 08-15-2013 02:18 PM

Nope the best bet is to dig them out. Relieves the pressure and gives immediate relief. Then continue soaking and keep them clean. Check for heat along his coronet band as they can break through there too. Sorry no easy fix
Posted via Mobile Device

spirit88 08-15-2013 02:19 PM

I know there's no fast fix iam wanting other ways of getting them to pop without soaking his feet. I don't want his feet to become water logged he's laminatic. Iv had farrier dig out abcesses wasn't a good out come not going there.

He's got 4 or 5 in each hoof were not talking on simple abcess here in each hoof.

TessaMay 08-15-2013 02:53 PM

Just a question, but all of the horses I've known who have laminitis have pads put on their front feet (generally with duct tape) and wear them 24/7. How did he manage to get abscesses, especially that many, with pads on his feet? Or do you not pad them for some reason?

spirit88 08-15-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TessaMay (Post 3360842)
Just a question, but all of the horses I've known who have laminitis have pads put on their front feet (generally with duct tape) and wear them 24/7. How did he manage to get abscesses, especially that many, with pads on his feet? Or do you not pad them for some reason?

He is padded and has been from the start of it. He also been under vets care. There's a lot more to this then just laminitis. Iam not going into that on here to long and this isn't what this thread is about. Ok he's was super sick he's 200 hundred pounds under weight he almost died 2 diffrent times.

All I want is another way to get abcesses to pop without soaking or digging them out.

TessaMay 08-15-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spirit88 (Post 3361234)
He is padded and has been from the start of it. He also been under vets care. There's a lot more to this then just laminitis. Iam not going into that on here to long and this isn't what this thread is about. Ok he's was super sick he's 200 hundred pounds under weight he almost died 2 diffrent times.

All I want is another way to get abcesses to pop without soaking or digging them out.

I wasn't questioning whether you were caring for him properly or had a vet watching him, etc. so I'm not sure why you got defensive when I asked a question. People are going to ask questions when you ask for advice in order to understand the situation better and because they are curious. You should expect that.

As for a another way, I've always used soaking or digging. The only other things I've heard used is a Epsom salts poultice, which is along the same lines as soaking their feet.

haleycrew4 08-15-2013 04:25 PM

Our vet said that Ictamol (not sure of spelling) is a drawing agent when we had an abcess. He said after soaking pack hoof with ictamol and wrap hoof.

smrobs 08-15-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

The only other way I know is just to wait. Most of the time, they'll burst on their own eventually. Though they sometimes don't and you end up with a much more severe infection going on in there. Since his feet are already compromised, that would be a death sentence for him.

Speed Racer 08-15-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately, there are no other ways. It's either soaking and waiting for them to burst, or digging them out. You want a fast, easy, convenient way for them to burst and there simply isn't one.

Sounds like this horse has a lot more going on wrong than just abscesses. The abscesses are more likely just the tip of the iceberg and are a symptom of other, more serious underlying issues.

In all sincerity I think you need to take a good, hard look at why you're keeping this horse alive. If it's only for yourself, maybe it's time to let him go. He sounds miserable.