The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   harsh hackamore? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/harsh-hackamore-25652/)

Go The Distance 04-08-2009 12:41 AM

harsh hackamore?

ok. so i have an arthritic 14(15 in may) year old OTTB mare. i usually ride her in a french link snaffle, but i also ride western. we just to trail rides, mainly walk/trot/ a little cantering when she feels good.

today i tried out a western hackamore. i used an english one on her, and she fought and tossed her head with me. i tried a braided rope S hack-she did not like that one one bit! haha

so today i used this
http://www.horsetackinternational.co...-hackamore.jpg

and she really liked it! she was very light and responsive, and wasnt fighting me like she dose with the snaffle. there wasnt much of a need to switch, i just thought we would give it a try.

i heard this can be kind of harsh due to the long shanks. i have very light, still, hands, and use my back and shoulders for stopping power. i can tell she is much more relaxed in it, but what do you guys think? constructive crit only please! i dont want to be bashed about it. thank you!

jxclass19 04-08-2009 12:51 AM

If she is happy then it is good. I use a hack on my OTTB and she responds a lot better. It is different and it doesn't remind her of the track days. It is a different contact and if your horse is better with it then why not?

BuckOff41570 04-08-2009 07:42 AM

A side pull is harsh in rough hands...if you have quiet hands, and she likes it, it should be just fine for trail riding.

morganshow11 04-08-2009 10:27 AM

I have the exact same mechanical hackamore as the picture. It made controling my horse far more easier than a snaffle.

onetoomany 04-08-2009 10:58 AM

That's because it's harsher than a snaffle Morganshow.

Go the Distance- If she responds well to it and you have soft hands I see no issue with you using it. Some horses just prefer not to have anything in their mouth.

masatisan 04-08-2009 09:51 PM

The harshness will actually vary depending on how tight or loose the curbstrap is, how wide it is and most of all on the hands of the person controlling it. Also, the lower it is the more the more the horse will react to pressure it puts on the nose (it is very dangerous and hamful to put it too low) and if it is placed too high the horse won't respond. This type of hackamore, unlike snaffles and english hackamores, puts no pressure on the poll which is an extremly sensitive area for some horses (it sounds like that may be the case with your girl).

Go The Distance 04-09-2009 09:38 PM

wow, thank you guys so much!

and masatisan, i never knew that the hackamores put pressure on the poll. this is probably the issue with her. the curb chain is relatively loose, i can stick about 2 or 3 fingers between her chin and the chain. (its an old and connected by nylon, streched out a bit.) i have really light hands, my girl will go off leg yeilds, so the hands stay quiet. ill have to get my trainer to check the positioning, i've only ridden her once in it and i could tell she is much happier!

thank you guys so much!

Walkamile 04-10-2009 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masatisan (Post 285394)
The harshness will actually vary depending on how tight or loose the curbstrap is, how wide it is and most of all on the hands of the person controlling it. Also, the lower it is the more the more the horse will react to pressure it puts on the nose (it is very dangerous and hamful to put it too low) and if it is placed too high the horse won't respond. This type of hackamore, unlike snaffles and english hackamores, puts no pressure on the poll which is an extremly sensitive area for some horses (it sounds like that may be the case with your girl).

I'm confused. I've always understood, and I checked this out to be sure I understood correctly, that snaffles do not put pressure on the poll . Any leverage bit, hackamores both english and mechanical are leverage "bits" and do put pressure on the poll.

Am I reading the above post incorrectly?

onetoomany 04-10-2009 10:49 AM

I was confused about that too. I know that type of hack uses poll pressure. The shanks don't swivel (if they didn't you wouldn't get any pressure anywhere) and by not swiveling they pull on both the nose piece and the headstall.

cowgirl4jesus94 04-18-2009 12:48 PM

So I'm thinking about using a hackamore... because Splash responds good with the rope halter but not with the bit so well. But not good enought in the saddle with the rope halter..
So what would you attach the hackamore to?

which of these hackamores look the better?

http://www.horse.com/Bike-Chain-Hackamore-WBE41.html

Fleece-Lined Hackamore - Horse.com
http://www.horse.com/Combo-Hack-w-Rope-Nose-WBE04.html