The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rodeo (http://www.horseforum.com/rodeo/)
-   -   should i put shoes on my horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/rodeo/should-i-put-shoes-my-horse-256602/)

horseluv7799 08-15-2013 04:30 PM

should i put shoes on my horse?

hey so i am about to start rodeos and was wondering if it would be a good idea to put shoes on my horse?

horseluv7799 08-15-2013 04:31 PM

should i put shoes on my horse?

i am about to start rodeos and was wondering if i should put shoes on my horse?

amberly 08-15-2013 04:46 PM

If your horse has nice feet and you haven't any had any issues with him - bad bruising, horribly horribly chipped toes, then I wouldn't.
They cost more money than a trim and if it is just for rodeo, then I would definitely say no.
What are his feet like?

ropinbiker 08-15-2013 04:54 PM

depends on what event/s you will be entering, how the ground is, your horse's feet

i shoe my roping horses and the one mare we do some barrels with, but don't shoe my others, unless there will be rocks...

amberly 08-15-2013 04:56 PM

If your horse has nice feet and you haven't any had any issues with him - bad bruising, horribly horribly chipped toes, then I wouldn't.
They cost more money than a trim and if it is just for rodeo, then I would definitely say no.
What are his feet like?

beau159 08-15-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseluv7799 (Post 3362042)
i am about to start rodeos and was wondering if i should put shoes on my horse?

What does your farrier think? That would be the person to ask because they know your horse's feet best.

Some rodeo horses are barefoot.
Some have shoes.

My horse Red has shoes to correct a front leg issue, and also for the purpose of traction since he tends to slip on bad ground.

Usually for high school rodeos they often have a good warm up area, and also keep the ground decent. So I would say to try it without shoes if your horse has never had them. And you can always put them on later if need be.

horseluv7799 08-15-2013 05:08 PM

he had nice although lately they have have been chipping... i am going to talk to my farrier next time he comes out and see what he says