The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horse abuse where we shouldnt expect it (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horse-abuse-where-we-shouldnt-expect-257234/)

jaydee 08-16-2013 12:35 PM

Horse abuse where we shouldnt expect it

The dressage world - and any caring person who has seen the news - has been shocked to hear of an abuse case coming from somewhere where we should least expect it to happen
John Byrialsen who owns properties in Poland and Denmark has been accused of neglect following raids on both of his properties. He is best known in Europe as the part owner of Collecto V who competed in the 2010 World Equestrian Games and in the 2012 Olympics for the US
Byrialsen is also the owner of Collecto's sire Comeback II
On August 11 a Polish newspaper reported that police and local animal rescue groups removed 50 of the worst horses of the 300 he was keeping there
Danish police and a local Veterinary Inspection Team found 15 starving horses, 1 in need of Vet care and 9 in need of farrier attention at his facility in that country
A spokesman from the Danish Warmblood Society has expressed his horror at what was found there
Its sad that we are almost becoming used to these stories coming from places we regard as low rate establishments but even worse when they are happening on professional yards and under the direct eye of people who should be setting a good example to the horse world.
This video footage was released. It is absolutely sickening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dHUWqlpG6E

smrobs 08-16-2013 12:49 PM

Oh, how horrible. :cry:

Chevaux 08-16-2013 01:03 PM

I couldn't finish watching the video - I feel ill.

jaydee 08-16-2013 01:06 PM

^^^ It had the same effect on me but knowing that these things are happening around us might help us to be more alert
If only someone could have prevented this happening by raising the alarm sooner - is their even enough done soon enough when that does happen though?

sxybeemr 08-16-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevaux (Post 3370826)
I couldn't finish watching the video - I feel ill.

same.... ** head shakes **

I just don't understand how people can do this. If you can't afford it, sell your horses or give them away for free. Or send them to slaughter. Slaughter would of been a blessing for these horses.

Taffy Clayton 08-16-2013 01:23 PM

I don't expect abuse anywhere.

Jake and Dai 08-16-2013 01:25 PM

I just cannot fathom this. How utterly horrific!

Here's an article from eurodressage:

Severe Case of Neglect Detected at John Byrialsen's Polish Brood Farm | eurodressage

In it they say that the authorities were called once before, in 2011, to one of the farms on reports of neglect but doesn't say what, if any action was taken then.

TessaMay 08-16-2013 01:28 PM

Not to be the rain cloud or anything, but it doesn't surprise me at all.

The more money there is involved with a stable the more likely you are to find abuse. It becomes about making money, not about what is best for the animals. True, usually it is a different kind of abuse than what is shown here with starving animals, but no less wrong. In my opinion the sort of abuse that goes into getting a horse to preform unnaturally is more horrifying because it is accepted and praised in the show ring.

farmpony84 08-16-2013 01:54 PM

The title did get me to giggle because of the "where we shouldn't expect it" part. It IS true though, we should NOT see abuse in the upper levels of showing! These people are the "movie stars" of the sport (in any discipline) - they SHOULD be getting the wins honestly.

BACK TO REALITY...

The more I show, the more I realize that the higher up you go (in levels) - the less people really deserve their wins. I geuss that's not worded correctly but these people that are winning the huge classes and shows (for the most part) are winning by sending their horses to trainers. The trainers are doing all the work and the riders are getting on at the last minute and taking all the credit. Because the trainers are getting paid for results... they do what it takes...

Sad really :(

Ok, climbing off my pedastool....

GamingGrrl 08-16-2013 02:18 PM

Sickening.
Posted via Mobile Device