The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Residential groom wages. (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/residential-groom-wages-257314/)

SeamusCrimin 08-16-2013 02:28 PM

Residential groom wages.

If this doesn't belong here, then I'm sorry! I just thought grooms would be around barn maintenance.

Well anyways, I want to start my own equestrian business in the future and I'm already starting to think about the business plan (I'm the sort of person who plans way in advance, so I have a starting place when/if the ideas go ahead - heck, I planned years before getting my first horse!!). I'm 19, so I'm about to start my first year at uni, where I'm doing psychology with hopes of going onto clinical (then I have at least that to fall back on if my business falls on its face). My business plans are pretty in-depth, and I've bought and read many books of equine business and management, equine care and everything like that so I have a very basic idea of what I'd be getting into (mind you, the chapters on VAT are so dull!!).

Moving on, I was wondering about employees and the fact that my groom would ideally be full-time, and therefore maybe residential which consequently means I'd have to consider rent and stuff, which is something I'd think about at the time for sure. SO... my question is aimed at any BOs and full time grooms (anyone, really) about wages. Do you deduct rent from their monthly pay, or do you not ask for rent in return for their hard work? Is the rent discounted due to their working there?

In an ideal world, I would probably make the rent very cheap so to ONLY cover the basic costs of energy use and I'd certainly want to ensure they had good pay (depending on what the budged allows of course). Well, that's an ideal world, and maybe not realistic, which is why I'm asking about your experiences and thoughts :D

ETA. I'm doing psychology because it's something I am passionate about and want to work in that area, and if I was to have a livery yard, I'd probably try and keep up with my psychology (maybe even going part time or private... not too sure). Again, all of this is idealistic thinking... I'm ready to have to really think about what I'm going to do with both passions.

Saddlebag 08-16-2013 02:45 PM

A stable I rode at had a hired groom who worked maybe 4 hrs and was provided a small cabin. If he finished early that was ok because there were times he'd put in extra hours. He knew his job and managed his time.

Incitatus32 08-16-2013 04:16 PM

The barn where we used to board there was an apartment attached to the barn. They had the barn manager live there. The only thing I can see is have a backup in case the person decides to go on vacation (because her boss didn't have a backup she only got 3 vacation days in a row). You just need to be sure that it's fair for the employee.

On the renting side (I recently became a landlord at 18 bleh) you want to be fair on that one. Paying the basic costs of energy is good if it's in the budget. My mom leases out houses as well and with her the tenant pays everything but sewage. Then again these people don't work for her, they just rent lol so someone else might give you better advice then. My deal with my house is that since I'll be moving up there (and in with the roommate) I'd pay half the utilities but if she wants anything extra like cable she's on her own.
Good luck! :D

jaydee 08-16-2013 04:19 PM

You'd need to check if use of a house or a bed sit whatever counts as income in real terms - as per the minimum wage requirements really

Palomine 08-16-2013 08:35 PM

Many barns will offer a house, bunkhouse or small apartment, utilities furnished with that. Cable/sat and cell are groom's deal.

And the housing is above the wages, and you do not deduct that from wages.

Other places rent place to grooms cheaply, or for real rent value.

I will say that usually the better deal you offer? The better groom you will be able to hire.

But if you are going to expect them to pay rent either there or somewhere else, they need to make a decent wage.

boots 08-17-2013 06:39 PM

Polo grooms that I know currently make $1500/mo for very green grooms, housing/utilities/cable, included. Some players get them a phone, too, if needed. More experienced grooms make at least $2000/mo with the housing, etc. The highest paid grooms I know of make $3500/mo plus housing, etc.

Depending on who they work for, they may be contractors or employees.

All, players, sponsors, and grooms, are watching what will happen when the requirement for health insurance starts. Some have it. Some don't.