The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Considering A Tattoo - Thoughts? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/considering-tattoo-thoughts-257578/)

BornToRun 08-16-2013 09:20 PM

Considering A Tattoo - Thoughts?

It's coming close to my eighteenth birthday, and I've been considering getting a tattoo. I didn't want to get a big one, or something pointless. I want it to be small, and I want to be able to see it. So I thought about getting Nelly's five digit brand vertically at the base of my thumb on my palm. I want to be able to love the idea before for at least a year before I get it. Any thoughts?

whalegirl 08-16-2013 09:53 PM

I got the same tattoo that my dad has when I was 18. It's a sacred heart on my right wrist and about the size of a half dollar. My advice to you would be get something you KNOW you won't look back on an regret. I'm a daddy's girl and was raised catholic, so my tattoo means a great deal to me and I love being able to look at it. I also have a sun on my left forearm near my elbow for my love of the outdoors. Keep in mind that some tattoos can't be made small if you want them to be detailed. My heart I wanted to be the size of a quarter but it wasn't possible because of the way it would look as my skin changed. I'm very happy with it now and still get a "wow, I have a tattoo!" feeling every now and then. My point being, think it through, prepare for the consequences. The healing process is uncomfortable and kinda gross that first week, something they don't tell you. It makes you not wanna show off your ink till it heals! Also, I wear a sweater at work every day just in case upper management walks in because I can't show my tats. Your professional wardrobe choices WILL be limited if you get a tattoo somewhere visible.
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 08-16-2013 11:41 PM

So long as your tattoo has a person meaning for you, something that isn't just a whim or a phase, then you'll never regret getting it.

I had never thought about the brand ID as a tattoo, but it's actually a really good and original idea. Would you get it in the symbols or the actual numbers?

BornToRun 08-17-2013 12:07 AM

Getting her freeze brand tattooed on me does have a deeper meaning to me, I just didn't think anyone would want to hear my sappiness :lol: I would just get it in the actual numbers, I can't think of any symbols that would have a greater significance.

Tracer 08-17-2013 12:10 AM

The biggest decision is where to get it - as whalegirl said, visible tattoos can be inconvenient. I suggest somewhere easily covered, like the top of your foot. In most jobs you will wear enclosed shoes, but you can still see it all you want in your own time.

The brand is a great idea IMO.

jumanji321 08-17-2013 12:51 AM

Finger tattoos fade very quickly and are really hard to cover-up. I like the brand idea, just the placement is a bit iffy.

BornToRun 08-17-2013 12:56 AM

It's not on any of my fingers, it would be practically at the base of my palm.

xJumperx 08-17-2013 01:04 AM

I agree with those saying that the brand idea is a WONDERFUL one, but the placement might be a bit iffy. The tattoos I am getting are very symbolic in themselves, and the placement is symbolic as well. You said there's a lot of history and backstory with the actual freeze-brand. Is there any body part that corresponds with that story? For example, I am getting four small horseshoes trotting up my right shoulder blade. The left side of my body is a more negative side, and the high placement of the tattoo on the right side will essentially stand for a positive, important aspect in my life. This tat will be standing for my love of horses.

Is there any sort of resemblance to your story that is similar to mine? Best wishes!! Hope it turns out wonderful!! :)

jumanji321 08-17-2013 01:26 AM

The skin on the base of your palm is the same as your fingers. A professional tattoo artist explained the specifics to me once and she really discourages hand tattoos.

AlexS 08-17-2013 02:10 AM

My thoughts, are to give it some time. If it's a good idea, it's still a good idea a year from now.