The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Damaged Facial Nerve? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/damaged-facial-nerve-25764/)

Appy Luvr 04-10-2009 12:33 AM

Damaged Facial Nerve?

I have the opportunity to get a coming 2yr old Bashkir Curly.....the only catch is, she damaged a facial nerve last summer. I know nothing about this kind of thing, does anyone have any experience with this? Is this something I should run from or is it managable? She was checked by a vet when it happened and she has improved from how she originally was after the injury but she still has a slightly droopy lip and she is a slow eater, they also said she probably can't wear a bit when she is broke. None of those things are any big deal for me. I'm not really looking for another horse but I've always loved the breed and she is close by and is a VERY good deal, I just don't want major problems down the road with her.
Any advise?? I'm suppose to be getting new pics of her tomorrow.

Also, if a horse is going to turn grey, what age will they start turning? She is currently a bay but is out of a grey stud and they have 2 horses from this same stud that where born dark or bay and are now greys so I'm curious if she will also turn??

Tayz 04-10-2009 05:15 AM

hmmm...I know nothing about facial nerves but it doesn't sound very nice :(

Perhaps she could just be a paddock pal for your other horses and a companiion for you for grooming and just leading around etc...

You should probaly ring your vet and ask them if they think it will be a problem and then go from there and choose whether you want to take her in....

goodluck, keep us posted.
I'm sorry I can't offer anymore help...

Go The Distance 04-10-2009 10:38 AM

I know of a horse with something similar. she was kicked in the pasture, and fractured her skull. her complete left side of her face is paralized.

im not sure about the bit she uses (if she does) and im pretty sure her accident happened after she was broken in (already accustomed to the bit). you will have to trust your veterinarian about that one.

this horse is successfully competing in endurance racing. :]

Appy Luvr 04-10-2009 11:25 AM

Thanks guys! She would only be used for light riding around the ranch so nothing that would be too hard on her and I have no problem using something other than a bit with her if that's what's needed.
I've never delt with anything like this so I want to be sure there isn't any hidden problems that might pop up later on....

Anyone else??

farmpony84 04-10-2009 11:50 AM

I have a friend that had a pony, I'll see if I can find a picture of it, his nose and lip were lopsided and he looked like a stroke victim. About a year, maybe 2 years after it happened, his face actually straightened out. I'll look for it, but I will say it never affected him.

Appy Luvr 04-10-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 286219)
I have a friend that had a pony, I'll see if I can find a picture of it, his nose and lip were lopsided and he looked like a stroke victim. About a year, maybe 2 years after it happened, his face actually straightened out. I'll look for it, but I will say it never affected him.

I would love to see pics if you can find them!!

farmpony84 04-10-2009 03:59 PM

my computer blocks smug mug but if you look under VAHA district IV schooling shows for a pony named All Patched Up you should be able to see it... (the pony is so ugly it's cute) and then when I get home I'll look on my computer for good shots because I have some somewhere. I think he'll be in the 2007 season and not the 2008 season.

karamorris.smugmug.com

masatisan 04-11-2009 07:12 PM

At my cousin's barn there is a thorougbred that has damaged nerves in the mouth/tongue area (caused by racing) his tongue hangs out on one side constantly, as far as I know he is ridden on a regular bit and worked at a moderate-high level.

Appy Luvr 04-11-2009 10:59 PM

Thanks for all the info guys! Unfortunatly I've decided to pass on her, she had another problem that I was unaware of so she might not be ridable and I'd hate to put a ton of work into her only to find out she can't be ridden.