The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   helppp!! lumpp!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/helppp-lumpp-25774/)

SugarRider659 04-10-2009 12:23 PM

helppp!! lumpp!!

I just recently bought this 7 year old mare. Vet checked and 100% sound. She was living on 300 acres as happy as could be. She is pretty fat and out of shape!

Well a week after, this bump showed up. She has been living in a stall with a huge run and she has been out in the pasture with the other horses.

It is on both sides under her belly. I cannot find a puncture wound. In between her front legs is like 2 pockets of fluid. When you poke it, the indention stays there for a minute and then goes away. Im starting to think it might be a hematoma like maybe she got kicked. But why is it swollen on both sides? I called the vet and she said she would come look at it next week. I have been putting DMSO and cold hosing it twice a day. Anyone have any ideas on what else it might be or what I could be doing to speed up the recovery?

Heres a video of it..

alsiola 04-10-2009 03:29 PM

Swelling that stays indented when you press it is characteristic of oedema. This is basically an accumulation of fluid. There are lots of potential causes for it, some of which are nasty, others which are pretty easily treatable. Your vet will need to do some tests to work it out, looking at things like protein levels in the blood. It could be that she is having a mild allergic reaction to something in her new environment, but there are many other possibilities.
In the meantime, cold hosing and DMSO are perfectly reasonable ways to go about treating it.

Hoofprints in the Sand 04-10-2009 03:33 PM

I hope everything turns out alright! My horse (whose name is ALSO "Sandie" ironically enough!!) had a lump in that exact spot, but it was only on one side and it was more round -- ended up being a sensitive reaction to a spider bite...the vet ended up removing it because of its location (right under the girth), and she's fine now. Good luck and I hope it's nothing serious!!

weefoal 04-10-2009 05:01 PM

Sure looks like a ventral edema. as said above there are so many different causes. has your vet actually looked at the horse?? Any other symptoms??

MollyK 04-11-2009 05:33 PM

My TB had two huge lumps, one on the rear and one on the chest. Turns out, they were serious reactions to deer tick bites. After dettatching the little critters, and a bit of exercise -- got the blood pumping -- they went right down.

SugarRider659 04-11-2009 06:55 PM

update

Vet has no idea. She said could be a number of things. Has her on 2 grams of bute a day along with cold hosing and a mixture of nitrofurazone, mineral ice, dsmo. Swelling has improved. Normal temperature. She isn't sore to touch it. Eating fine. Vet said it should resolve itself within a week. So we shall see if it does.

Hoofprints in the Sand 04-11-2009 08:55 PM

Glad she is improving :-)