The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Safety Stirrups (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/safety-stirrups-25775/)

cherriebark 04-10-2009 11:42 AM

Safety Stirrups

I got my foot caught in the stirrup yesterday and got dragged/trampled. Luckily I only have bruises to show fit it, but it is definitely time to look at some safety stirrups. Here are a few I am considering:

Browsing Store - Thornhill Foot Free Safety Stirrup

Mountain Horse Quick Release Stirrups

Browsing Store - Korsteel Fillis Peacock Stirrup Irons w/ Pads

Opinions? Are there other styles out there that you would suggest?

SouthernTrails 04-10-2009 12:09 PM

Glad you are OK

We have used several styles you listed for our Students, here is another option, they all seem to work, no accidents, just personal preference for you.

Tack - Stirrups & Irons - Safety Endurance Stirrups - Arete Equestrian - Half Chaps, Skito & Supracor Saddle Pads... - (Powered by CubeCart)

Sir Drake 04-10-2009 12:17 PM

If you ride english, the peacocks are pretty simple and cheap. The only problem with them are that the rubber bands easily come off and are a pain to relocate. :D The bands a cheap the replace, just get annoying!
I'd love to learn more about your second option, the mountain horse quick releases, though. If anyone knows about them!

kitten_Val 04-10-2009 02:38 PM

Wow! I really liked those. Are they suited for english saddles though?

Whipple 04-10-2009 03:16 PM

The mountain horse quick release seem to have the ssame advantages of the peacocks without the disadvantage of losing the bands. Although if price is any issue, I'd go with peacocks. But those are the ones I have experience with so I'm a bit biased.

luvs2ride1979 04-10-2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 286299)
Wow! I really liked those. Are they suited for english saddles though?

Yes, the top slot has a 1" opening, perfect for english leathers. My husband uses these with the cages on his old McClellan that he put English leathers on.

Keep in mind that most peacock stirrups have a weight limit of 125-150 lbs.

jumpwhat007 04-11-2009 07:51 PM

I have these:
Kwik-Out Stirrups - Dover Saddlery.

The only reason I bought these is because I can't show in the peacock ones. So I got these. I like them ok, I'm not sure I really like the stirrup pad it has, I wish they had other pads for it, but the safety feature of the stirrup is pretty nice. I have only fallen off once with these, and my foot did not get stuck in the stirrup. I broke my femur, but at least my foot came out of the stirrup.

LauraB 04-11-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpwhat007 (Post 286855)
I have these:
Kwik-Out Stirrups - Dover Saddlery.

The only reason I bought these is because I can't show in the peacock ones. So I got these. I like them ok, I'm not sure I really like the stirrup pad it has, I wish they had other pads for it, but the safety feature of the stirrup is pretty nice. I have only fallen off once with these, and my foot did not get stuck in the stirrup. I broke my femur, but at least my foot came out of the stirrup.

I have used a pair of Kwik Outs for 10 years and I still like them. The only drawback is that you need to keep the hinge oiled or they will squeek.

CrazyChester 04-12-2009 04:58 AM

I use something like the first one and like them, haven't had a problem with them yet.

trashcore 04-12-2009 06:33 AM

Why do people both with safety stirrups? :|
I find them very uncomfortable and they don't work half the time. >-<
I find my (non-safety) stirrups easier to get out of...
Hmm, maybe it's just a personal preference. -shrugs-