The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   What am I (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/what-am-i-25780/)

ozarkred 04-10-2009 01:28 PM

What am I

Help me, please. Here is the deal: I have my first pony, or what I believe to be a pony. Sounds strange? You bet!
I have had Morgans, Quarter Horse (the real horse by the way) and lots of others. However, other than a Shetland, I have never had a pony. I know he is a stud, I know he is gaited, and about 12 hands. What I cannot determine is the age, not even close, and his breed.
Would a pony person(s) please write to me, and I will send you 2 pictures for you to view. Maybe, someone, maybe you, can give me a better idea of his breed.
How'd I get him? A friend had a friend who had a friend who had to get rid of 6 horses. In the end, my friend took three, gave me this little boy. He was "maybe green-broke, and for sure halter broke." Neither was true. He even turned up his nose at sweet feed. There was a series of signs that he was jerked off a back pasture, where he had never been touched, to save grass for other horses.
glennscheer@hotmail.com

xilikeggs0 04-10-2009 02:27 PM

Just post them here.

Zab 04-11-2009 05:20 PM

I know two gaited breeds in pony size; icelandic horse and baskjir. Post the pictures here :)

Curly_Horse_CMT 04-14-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zab (Post 286787)
I know two gaited breeds in pony size; icelandic horse and baskjir. Post the pictures here :)

By referring to Bashkjir, do you mean Bashkir? As in a Bashkir Curly?

Zab 04-14-2009 05:30 PM

I onnly know the swedish name, which is baskjir, probably bashkjir for you :)
But isn't bashkjir curly a cross? I might very well have gotten that wrong. The baskjirs I know is small, definetly not curly, and gaited.

CloudsMystique 04-19-2009 09:06 PM

Basjkir: Gide Basjkirhstar
Bashkir: Breeds of Livestock - Bashkir Horse

They appear to be the same breed. They're both from the same area, they're both gaited, and they're both hypo-allergenic. Maybe we call them Bashkirs in America and Basjkirs in Sweden? The Basjkirs don't look curly to me, but it says their coat is more like human hair and less like horse hair. Maybe Americans breed them to be curly?

Curly Horse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rissa 04-19-2009 09:09 PM

That's pretty average height for TWH's in this area now-adays sadly.

CloudsMystique 04-19-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rissa (Post 291625)
That's pretty average height for TWH's in this area now-adays sadly.

That can't be true... the average height is over 15 hands. Walkers are huge.

According to Wikipedia, "Walkers are generally 15 to 17 hands tall, but can range from 13.2hh to 18hh."

I wouldn't believe someone if they told me they had ONE 12 hand Walker... there's no way that can be the average where you are.

Curly_Horse_CMT 04-20-2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloudsMystique (Post 291623)
Basjkir: Gide Basjkirhstar
Bashkir: Breeds of Livestock - Bashkir Horse

They appear to be the same breed. They're both from the same area, they're both gaited, and they're both hypo-allergenic. Maybe we call them Bashkirs in America and Basjkirs in Sweden? The Basjkirs don't look curly to me, but it says their coat is more like human hair and less like horse hair. Maybe Americans breed them to be curly?

Curly Horse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nobody knows exactly where the Curly's were originally from. There was rumor that they came over from Russia, while the founder of the breed found them out west, roaming with the Mustang herds. It sounds like they are similar in name. They are curly naturally, while there are different degrees of "curly" They can still be registered even if they are not curly because they carry the gene for it.

Zab 04-20-2009 02:19 PM

I know curlys, but I don't get ''curly baskjir''..