The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Short Person + Tall Boots = Problem (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/short-person-tall-boots-%3D-problem-258082/)

Alexandra V 08-17-2013 08:18 PM

Short Person + Tall Boots = Problem
 
Does anybody on here know of a brand that makes short tall boots? :P I'm a beginner but I have no intentions of stopping riding, and I'd really like to get myself a pair, but the woman at the tack shop I went to said that for me to get some to fit me I'd have to have them custom made.

The boots I tried on there were all too tall on me and wouldn't allow me to bend my knee. Even my half chaps are a little too tall and will slip down a little bit while I wear them - which isn't a big deal to me, but it's kind of annoying. Do I really have to have them custom made if I want tall boots?

Kayty 08-17-2013 08:34 PM

I'm a shortie too, and yes, I had to go with custom made. You don't want tall boots that don't fit properly - they hurt like crazy to break in even if they DO fit!!!

tlkng1 08-17-2013 08:39 PM

What is the distance from the back of your knee to your heel? A tall boot will drop about an inch once broken in so that needs to be taken into consideration. Yes, the break in period until it DOES drop can be, excuse the pun, a pain.

The other thing is that you don't necessarily need a custom boot. If you have a shop in the area that works shoe repair/leather work, they could conceivably cut down the height. It would have a cost associated but it wouldn't be anywhere near the cost of a set of full customs.

Here is a boot that comes in a shorter height...take off an inch for drop.

Mountain Horse® Firenze Zip Dress Boot | Dover Saddlery

Alexandra V 08-17-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlkng1 (Post 3383730)
What is the distance from the back of your knee to your heel? A tall boot will drop about an inch once broken in so that needs to be taken into consideration. Yes, the break in period until it DOES drop can be, excuse the pun, a pain.

The other thing is that you don't necessarily need a custom boot. If you have a shop in the area that works shoe repair/leather work, they could conceivably cut down the height. It would have a cost associated but it wouldn't be anywhere near the cost of a set of full customs.

Here is a boot that comes in a shorter height...take off an inch for drop.

Mountain Horse® Firenze Zip Dress Boot | Dover Saddlery

Good to know about the 1" drop! I haven't measured myself but that's definitely going to be useful! I thought about bringing them to a shoe repair place right near my house but wasn't sure if that would have been a good idea or not, but I might look into how much they would charge for that as I'm sure it'll be way less than getting customs.

Ted Love Forever 08-17-2013 08:48 PM

I love tall boots, but I suggest just getting short ones until you know you will get a lot of use out of the boots. Also, if you are younger, you might start growing soon, so its a pain to keep buying different sizes custom made boots.

tlkng1 08-17-2013 08:54 PM

Most stock boots from a tack shop are going to be in the 18" range for an adult boot. You need to measure your leg height (back of knee to floor) so you know what height you actually need. As Ted also pointed out, if you have not as yet reached your full height the length of the distance just indicated may change.

Alexandra V 08-17-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Love Forever (Post 3383802)
I love tall boots, but I suggest just getting short ones until you know you will get a lot of use out of the boots. Also, if you are younger, you might start growing soon, so its a pain to keep buying different sizes custom made boots.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlkng1 (Post 3383914)
Most stock boots from a tack shop are going to be in the 18" range for an adult boot. You need to measure your leg height (back of knee to floor) so you know what height you actually need. As Ted also pointed out, if you have not as yet reached your full height the length of the distance just indicated may change.

I'll definitely measure! And I'm almost 19 (late bloomer for riding haha) so I don't expect to get much taller ;)

DuckDodgers 08-17-2013 10:20 PM

Definitely remember the drop when looking! You can't put boot back that isn't there! Look online and you'll find that most tall boots have a sizing chart. Measure yourself according to the instructions, add the recommended number of inches, and see what you can find that fits!

I got my tall boots when in high school (I was 15 I think), and the boots did not drop nearly as much as expected so they ended up being too tall. I just sucked it up through my high school showing days, and the boots have been mostly sitting around while in undergrad. I pulled them out recently to ride in occasionally because I'm contemplating showing again, and I had forgotten how bad the knee crease was! I took them to the local shoe repair guy, and he did a great job cutting them down to the proper height for only $30. You can notice a couple of slight differences when you look closely, but the overall appearance of the boot is exactly the same.

plomme 08-18-2013 12:25 AM

You can also put heel lifts in boots if they are a bit too tall. It's certainly cheaper than getting custom boots. Off the rack brands like Ariat and Mountain Horse make short versions of their boots.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0