The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Jumping Critique! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/jumping-critique-258602/)

Bluemoonlvr 08-18-2013 04:32 PM

Jumping Critique!

Hey guys! I'm a working student at a really nice hunter show barn. This is a horse we are training at the moment. He use to jump so hard that he would jump professionals out of the tack. But here is a course that we did. And one of the oxers are 3'. Please critique me and the horse :D

Oxer 08-19-2013 12:31 AM

i don't ride hunters... hell, i don't even like hunters... but that horse is a hunter all day long! What a nice, even, quiet, canter he has through your entire course. Just hunting along, very very lovely. If he's brave, and gets some nice clean changes, he will be able to do the A circuit.

You rode really quite accurately. These fences are far apart, oddly placed, and there's lots of room for you to mess up and micromanage your horse to the base... but you didn't do that. You let him lope up to the fences at a nice, quiet pace, and the distances appeared. Kudos to you!

I might only have a couple things to critique. I personally think your irons should go up a hole. Your leg looks a little reachy to me. And my only other thing would be to watch your chest in your 2 point. Riders now-a-days have a tendency to lay their chest all over their horses necks. i'm not saying your doing that... i'm simply saying to watch it, cause your 2 point seems a little over exaggerated for this height.

Either way... Lovely ride. Lovely horse.

alexischristina 08-19-2013 04:43 AM

Your two-point seems a little overly dramatic for fences this height. Laying on the horses neck, collapsing completely over the jump. I'd also like to see your hands out of your lap a little bit, and it looks like you're thrusting them forward over most of the fences instead of following the horses mouth. I would also work on flattening your back a little more, and coming back over the saddle on the off side. You're so far forward that you seem like you're really struggling to sit up (it could also be because your stirrups seem a tad too long, and your leg looks like it's swinging back quite a bit).

Stilton 08-19-2013 10:38 AM

You are really ducking a lot over the fences. You don't need to fold so much for this height. Bring your chest up so that you're not lying on the horses neck. On the flat you need to sit on your bum more, especially round corners

Bluemoonlvr 08-19-2013 04:52 PM

Thanks guys! The only reason why I am bending so much is because he jumps really hard. Like super hard and its really hard to ride. So i over do it sometimes. But I will definitely work on my upper body

xlionesss 08-19-2013 05:55 PM

Personally, I think the both of you look great.

updownrider 08-19-2013 09:44 PM

Nice horse and lovely facility. Are those empty jump cups metal? They should never be above the top rail because that is dangerous. There is a close up of one that you jumped at 1:07 that is at eye level.