The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   Big South Fork (TN) (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/big-south-fork-tn-258802/)

Sharpie 08-18-2013 08:43 PM

Big South Fork (TN)

Big South Fork Sept 6 & 7th: Anyone else going to be there? It'll be my first 'real' ride, got all registered with AERC and everything, planning on the LD. Would love to see some friendly HF faces there, or just hear your advice on what (not) to do our first ride. My plan is just to finish.

Neither my horse nor I have been competitors at an LD or endurance ride before, so I figured the LD would be a good way to get our toes wet and make sure my horse isn't one who checks out and stops having fun at mile 29. So far, 19 miles at a slower pace over tough footing left me with a horse who looked and acted like we hadn't even ridden yet that day, and he's great at eating and drinking, so I'm reasonably confident that we'll be good for the distance.

franknbeans 08-18-2013 09:21 PM

All I know is it is BEAUTIFUL! I went there and tried my guy before I bought him. The lady I bought him from lives in a horse community that is IN BSF. The ladies get together almost daily (in their robes, in golf carts) and decide where they will ride that day. Small lots, but they ride out right from their houses. I will say it was rocky, rough and steep. My guy came with front shoes which he needed for the rocks. They were sharp, not rounded, and about fist size. Not like anything I had seen before. Gorgeous place tho-I would LOVE to go back sometime. Have fun!

OutOfTheLoop 08-18-2013 09:27 PM

Although I live in tn, I habe never been there! I am ashamed :( Def would like to go ride, but not a LD lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

flytobecat 08-18-2013 09:27 PM

Best of luck

Sharpie 08-18-2013 09:40 PM

Thank you! We've been training at Land Between the Lakes, on hills and rocks that would have made me tremble a month ago. My horse, of course, handles it like it's no big deal and just marches onward with rarely a moment's hesitation. I'm thinking that BSF is probably a lot of the same type of terrain (and weather!).

OutOfTheLoop 08-18-2013 10:01 PM

Did you go on the John Wayne Trail at LBL? That is a mother, or it was years ago lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

phantomhorse13 08-18-2013 10:15 PM

BSF is on my bucket list, though not on the calendar for this year.

Can't wait to hear all about your experience!!

Brighteyes 08-18-2013 10:25 PM

BSF is awesome! I'm going up there for a CTR in two/three weeks, and I can't wait! It's tougher footing, but beautiful and worth the trip.

Sharpie 08-18-2013 10:35 PM

I don't know which trail is the John Wayne trail! I only know them by their maps numbers, and even that not very well... :oops:

OutOfTheLoop 08-18-2013 11:07 PM

Lol I don't remember the number. I believe the trail was around 16 miles.
Posted via Mobile Device