The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Cross Country Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/cross-country-jumping-25904/)

StormyBlues 04-12-2009 04:52 PM

Cross Country Jumping

Well, I am going to make a "fake" ditch to school her over, but how do I make sure she will jump a ramp, or go through the water? any good exersices to do before our event?

MyBoyPuck 04-12-2009 05:23 PM

Go trail riding! Find every bank, ditch, stream you can. She'll have fun, build up some muscle and probably jump the ditch at the show without a thought.

MIEventer 04-12-2009 06:25 PM

Do you not have a coach who is taking you to a certified/approved CC course to school over?

Pinto Pony 04-12-2009 06:55 PM

I don't have a CC course nearby to school over and make do with making my own obstacles and like MyBoyPuck suggested I use things on the trail! I always check out the take off and landing sides of logs, ditches, streams etc to make sure they are safe before I just go over/through them.

I practice my water when it is rainy use a trench at the back of our property that I know is safe. If you have access to a dam that would be another good idea too.

Goodluck with your schooling :D

Miss Katie 04-13-2009 12:26 AM

I was under the impression you had an instructor and were a part of a team, and event regularly?? Do you honestly not have access to a course to school on??
Is this a new horse who you have not evented yet?? It that case, I recommened a proper schooling session before you compete.

Spyder 04-13-2009 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Katie (Post 287539)
I was under the impression you had an instructor and were a part of a team, and event regularly?? Do you honestly not have access to a course to school on??
Is this a new horse who you have not evented yet?? It that case, I recommened a proper schooling session before you compete.

Good points. I like to help but have found the OP to come up with so many inconsistancies that I find it hard to believe much of anything posted by her.

You did state that you mom was some sort of high level dressage rider (still not sure on this one) so maybe ask her what she thinks ?

MIEventer 04-13-2009 10:29 AM

I take this sport seriously, and there were far too many accidents at lower levels, which really gave my sport a bad name by outsiders who didn't understand the world of Eventing.

There were huge meetings about this, hosted and attended by big named riders in this sport, and the board of USEF - where they discussed what they could do to educate those who are in this sport, to prepare themselves and their horses properly, educatedly, physcially, mentally - so that they can represent this sport to the best of their abillities.

Jim Wofford even wrote a very well said article about this meeting and discussion - to educate the readers on what steps they can do to aid in minimizing the accidents at lower levels........I highly recommend you read this article.

So - when I take the essential steps to properly train myself and my horse under an educated and quallified eventing coach - and do my best to represent my sport....I get offended when I hear of riders who don't take this sport as seriously as I and many others do.

No one - has any business entering an event without guidance and education under a quallified eventing coach. No one should be venturing over a cc course without properly schooling over a cc course, 1 fence at a time - 1 on 1 with their coach.

Do not under estimate this sport. Do not under estimate these fences. Do not under estimate the terrain.

Education. Preperation. Prevention

MyBoyPuck 04-14-2009 08:10 PM

MIEventer, I have a CC question for you. I did my first hunter pace last fall and had a blast. We took all of the smaller jumps without incident. I mentioned to an eventing trainer there that I would like to try beginner novice next year. She asked me if I was schooling at 3'. If the maximum height for BN is 2'6", then why would I need to schooling at 3'? The show I'm aiming for is a schooling show if that makes any difference.

MIEventer 04-14-2009 08:42 PM

Good question -

A rider should always school higher than what they are going to compete at, especially for Eventing.

For example, as you stated, if you are going to compete Beginner Novice - max 2'6", you should be schooling Novice.

Reason being, is because those CC fences are intimidating. If you prepare yourself and your horse physically and mentally over Novice Fences, then when you compete BN - you aren't over faced. You aren't stressed, nervouse, intimidated by the BN fences.

If you learn to ride Novice terrain and fences, then BN terrain and fences come to you much simpler, with ease, and - you can have fun.

Regardless of what Eventing Coach you have *any good one that is* will school you 1 level above what you are competing.

That is how is should be with Hunter/Jumpers as well. If you are competing 2'6", then at home, you should be schooling 2'11".
Get what I am saying.

MyBoyPuck 04-14-2009 08:53 PM

Makes sense. Thanks.