The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Pulling mane (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/pulling-mane-25905/)

jchunterjumper 04-12-2009 04:56 PM

Pulling mane

Hey,
I need to pull my horses mane for a clinic, and normally I have a braider do it but this time I want to save money and do it myself. I have seen many people do it, but I have never had anyone explain how to do it. Can you guys please give me a run through of how to do it and any usefull tips?
Thanks!!

LacyLove 04-13-2009 08:56 AM

look it up on youtube, there are many videos on there about pulling and some actually help! lol hope i helped! =]

upnover 04-13-2009 11:12 AM

Brush all of the mane down. Grab a lock of the longest hair, comb the excess up, and yank out the lock you have in your hand. I usually wrap the lock in the comb once and then yank on the comb, you have less slipping hair that way and it saves your fingers a little. If it's hard to pull out (or if your horse is not happy) make the lock smaller. Rather then starting on one side and working your way down, I think it's best to do a little all over. That way if you have to stop in the middle your horse doesn't look like someone butchered their mane.

XxXequinegrlXxX 04-13-2009 11:37 AM

upnover explained it pretty well!

appylover31803 04-13-2009 01:21 PM

I got a solo comb to pull my qh's mane. I thought it was very easy to do, and my horse didn't mind at all.

jchunterjumper 04-13-2009 07:47 PM

I like the youtube idea, i never thought of that. applelover, isnt the solo comb like actually cutting your horses main instead of thining it?

appylover31803 04-13-2009 09:42 PM

I do believe you can thin it out, I'm not sure.

Yes it does cut the mane and you aren't actually pulling it, but it achieves the same look IMO. And its nice for horses that don't tolerate the pulling.