The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Horsehair Bridle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/horsehair-bridle-259193/)

nickijones 08-19-2013 11:02 AM

Horsehair Bridle

1 Attachment(s)
My dad passed away a couple of years ago & left me a horsehair bridle, reins included, along with an article from a Western Horseman magazine telling the story of this bridle. I don't have the article with me, but I know it says something along the lines of these bridles being made by prison inmates. Because of personal circumstances I am going to have to sell the bridle. Can someone please advise me on who to contact to find out the value of it?

boots 08-19-2013 07:34 PM

Well besides me for the cost of shipping... just kidding of course.

Unsure of where you are located, but contacting a custom saddle maker may provide contacts. There are also collectors around the country who will do an appraisal, and may provide a buyer.

In my area, King's Saddlery and the pawn shops can both do appraisals.

Further, there are internet forums where you could get an idea from some of the members on both it's value and how to market it.

Depending on who made the bit, you may want to sell it separately, or you may find a buyer who wants both.

It's beautiful, from what I see. Good luck with the selling.

COWCHICK77 08-19-2013 08:05 PM

50 Attachment(s)
I remember the article in Western Horseman and I am trying to dig it up. I will be back.

boots 08-19-2013 08:10 PM

I know there are several talented braiders on leatherworker dot net. One of them may steer you in the right direction.

And, if you give me permission, I will show your photo to some saddle makers I know. They may recommend good contacts.

COWCHICK77 08-19-2013 10:05 PM

50 Attachment(s)
It sticks in my head that those bridles go for about $2000 and up.
Does the bit have a mark on it?