The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   Need a little advice (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/need-little-advice-259425/)

Twilight Arabians 08-19-2013 03:14 PM

Need a little advice

Hi guys! So i need a little advice. We have had a lot of issues with the ranch next door to ours. We have repeatedly called animal control because in the last two years I have only seen them feed the horses one time... the horses are in a fairly large pasture, probably 5 acres but there are at least 15 horses out there. In years past it seamed like there was enough grass to keep them looking okay but this year has been really really dry, so there is no grass left and I often see the horses digging trying to get any food they can and many have been dropping weight... the horses all have long feet and horrible dread locks. Like I said we have called animal control multiple times but they haven't done anything.... So i'm really not sure what to do at this point...

I have talked with others who have ridden at her place and am told she rescued the horses, and when I have feed the horses grass over the fence many seem really skittish. So I'm wondering if this is why some of them have such long feet? So I have been thinking about going over and just talking to her myself and see if maybe I can donate some of my time to work with a few of the horses and get them to the point where they could at least have their feet done... What do you guys think? This doesn't help the food issue but maybe if I can get on her good side I can help her see what she's doing. I am really really worried about how the horses are going to do this year... I have pictures and will try to get them uploaded soon so you can see what i'm talking.

Muppetgirl 08-19-2013 03:46 PM

I wouldn't donate my time to someone who lets horses live like that. As far as I can see the food issue is the thing that AC will care about, horses having long feet and being skittish, meh, AC won't care......but starving horses are a whole different kettle of fish. Keep calling AC until they get sick of you and do something. Call vet offices also. Get the word out.

Twilight Arabians 08-19-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 3399897)
I wouldn't donate my time to someone who lets horses live like that. As far as I can see the food issue is the thing that AC will care about, horses having long feet and being skittish, meh, AC won't care......but starving horses are a whole different kettle of fish. Keep calling AC until they get sick of you and do something. Call vet offices also. Get the word out.

We have been calling them monthly for the past two years... I'm really at my wits end. I have spoken with the local vet about it and she has passed on the information to everyone she knows. The really sad part is this ranch does weekly horse camps and still nothing is done. So she just keeps raking in the cash while the horses suffer. I was watching the kids ride earlier today and one of the horses is really lame, yet they did nothing and kept riding it. Took a video to give to AC.

Muppetgirl 08-19-2013 03:59 PM

Yup, get as much 'proof' as possible and file it with AC. Skinny horses don't happen overnight and anyone who claims it happen in one week, NINE DAYS or even a month is lyng.

Twilight Arabians 08-19-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 3400041)
Yup, get as much 'proof' as possible and file it with AC. Skinny horses don't happen overnight and anyone who claims it happen in one week, NINE DAYS or even a month is lyng.

Will do, I am still going to volunteer my help. Many of the skinner horses are kept by the house where you can't really see them so if I can get on the inside I might be able to get better proof. Should also add that quite a few years about AC did take many of the horses away from her and gave her a 2nd chance. From what I have heard she did a lot better after that but things are slowly going back to the way it was before. Knowing this I cannot understand why AC won't do more... but we will keep on them and keep sending them proof until they get their butts in gear and do something.