The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Running through my aids! (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/running-through-my-aids-25951/)

mudypony 04-13-2009 02:31 PM

Running through my aids!

My horse likes to run through my aids turning to the right and occasionally to the left too. He almost always pops his shoulder through the turns. I try to keep a steady outside rein, squeeze with my outside leg, and give with my inside rein but he still does the same thing. He has gotten a bit better but I was wondering if anyone had any tips. It would be so nice to have a horse that actually turns when asked.

Spastic_Dove 04-13-2009 03:31 PM

How long have you been working with him? Is this new?
If your horse has been out of work or is new to being ridden, they will be stiff and can not bend and turn nicely like you may want. I'm not sure if this is the case with your guy or not though.

~*~anebel~*~ 04-13-2009 04:41 PM

Put your legs on and ride. All horses do this and there is no quick fix.
I would suggest getting another rider (your coach??) to hop on and fix it a little bit and then coach you through getting the horse straighter.

MIEventer 04-13-2009 04:56 PM

My TB loves to pop his shoulder as well, what I do to correct this is by putting pressure on his outside shoulder with my outside rein. Almost like you are doing a roll back.

You don't want to bend your horse to the inside - you want to make sure your horse is strait.

There are great exercises to help with this - you can do this at the walk. Then move into the trot when you are ready.

Act as though you are going to do a 20 meter circle, but in a square shape instead. When you come to the point of going from one side of the square to the other, ask for the turn with all your outside aids, and by putting the outside rein on your horses outside shoulder.

Remember - your outside leg doesn't prevent the horse from popping their shoulder, your outside rein does. Your reins ride the shoulders not the face.

Here is a vid of my TB and I doing this but going around ground poles instead. All outside aids.

mudypony 04-14-2009 07:27 AM

Thanks everyone!
He is not new to riding and has not just come back from a break. My trainer says he has always had this problem and is helping me through it. I just wanted some more tips.

Also, MIEventer I have been working on that same exact exercize and it's been helping a lot lately. My dressage trainer has really helped me realize the importance of a strong outside rein.

Spyder 04-14-2009 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudypony (Post 288224)
Thanks everyone!
He is not new to riding and has not just come back from a break. My trainer says he has always had this problem and is helping me through it. I just wanted some more tips.

A couple of things you can do that are a bit of a quick fix but will help and that is to have the horse perfectly straight when you make the turn and instead of dropping or having a light inside rein..... use a direct "opening" rein to lead him into the turn. The idea is that over time the direct inside opened rein will be used less and less and the turns eventually come more from the seat and legs. If you are patient this can be very effective.

koomy56 04-14-2009 10:43 AM

I agree with Spyder. I am working with a horse right now that did this one direction. Ten billion times around the circle I was making, I'd apply my outside rein, out side leg, and bring my inside hand straight up. If you put your inside had out and away, he can still barge his shoulder to the outside, so raising your hand straight towards the sky will better communicate with his hind end and his shoulders. When I applied these aids, if he does not look to go in the direction suggested, I kick with the outside or even tap him with my stick. The moment he goes there, I release everything, walk a few steps, then do it again. This horse only does that in one corner, but I would do these transitions all the way around the circle.
Be aware of what your body is doing. Do you have an awareness on your inside seat bone? Is your body turning in the direction you're wanting to go, or is your body saying one things and your reins another?
Do this at the walk until you feel its gotten easy at the walk, then trot the trot doing the same thing. Just remember, if its there in the walk, it'll be there more in the trot, and even more in the canter. So If you can erase it from happening from the walk, the trot will be easier. If you can't get it at the walk, don't even try a trot or you'll be setting your horse up to be a loser. And you want him to be the winner so you can continue on and progress. :)
Another exersize that will help fix this issue is alot of shoulder-in. Do shoulder-in until you can do it in your sleep. What it will do is give you more control of his outside shoulder, yes, but it will also help him connect all his parts. Horses who get broken like this, its because they have parts of their body that don't connect, and it's usually the front to back that is disconnected. Shoulder-in will help your guy become even not only in your reins, but through your legs and his entire body, so that eventually he can learn that his body follows his head.
Good luck. Be patient. :)

mls 04-14-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ (Post 287869)
Put your legs on and ride. All horses do this and there is no quick fix.

All horses? Ah - no.

MIEventer 04-14-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Also, MIEventer I have been working on that same exact exercize and it's been helping a lot lately. My dressage trainer has really helped me realize the importance of a strong outside rein.

Great minds think alike :) lol. My Coach has me doing that exercise and believe it or not, he is a Hunter/Jumper coach who takes Dressage Lessons under a Prix Saint George Competator.

Glad you have a great coach helping you out :) Frustrating isn't it! My TB pops his left shoulder whenever we go to the right.

When we go to the left, he is really light and responsive to my aids, but whenever we go the right - he is heavy, stiff and pops that shoulder.

So we do allot of work going to the right.

~*~anebel~*~ 04-14-2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 288290)
All horses? Ah - no.

So your horse is 100% straight?

MI and Spyder have given some good tips.