The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Equine Careers and Education (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/)
-   -   Hartpury College Equine Program (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/hartpury-college-equine-program-259850/)

ThisIsMyUsername 08-20-2013 04:08 AM

Hartpury College Equine Program

Has anyone on here been in the program? I'm considering applying to it, but I do have a few worries.

There were a few reviews that said that the equine part of the school focused only on the "elite". I am nowhere near experienced enough to be considered anything near elite, but I would be willing to work my butt off to improve. Just wondering if it is a program that you can work your way up into or if it is one of those things where the best stay the best and the rest get the back burner.

I would be going in as an international student going over seas for school would be a big move, really want to hear more about the school before taking a leap of faith.

Not too sure what the rest of my questions are, just would really like to chat with someone who has been.

albertaeventer 10-31-2013 04:30 PM

I know this is a bit of an older thread, but I had a friend do an equine science diploma in Canada and then went over to do the top up for the Equine Management degree. It was not at all like she was expecting and she did not enjoy it at all. The schooling and courses were very different than what she had taken before, and she had trouble adjusting to the different country/culture, she didn't end up making many friends at all, found it very cliquey, etc. She also said she didn't find there was much for riding or curricular activities outside of classes.

Everyone is different of course, but I thought it was unusual that my very friendly, open-minded, extremely hard working and dedicated friend went over there and had a negative experience, because it does sound like a dream sort of place. Just thought I would share anyways!