The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   should i work with him? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/should-i-work-him-25997/)

appy rider 4 life 04-14-2009 09:01 AM

should i work with him?

So i told you guys about Calvin and all his issues will... if it is nice this weekend i am gonna go and work with him. but i am having second thought because i do not want things to turn out last time. So should i try and help Calvin or just stick to my appy man?

kitten_Val 04-14-2009 09:52 AM

Appy, I'm sorry but could you post a link to your other thread? There are so many threads popping up all the time that it's hard to trace. :-)

mls 04-14-2009 10:11 AM

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trai...-calvin-24896/

Curly_Horse_CMT 04-14-2009 10:28 AM

What exactly does he do when he is barn sour? I didnt quite understand what he was doing even from reading your other thread...if you are frightened to work with him, why not have another experienced adult help you? Being buddy sour doesnt mean that the horse is a total loss. It is just a backward step that can be easily reveresed into a forward one.

kitten_Val 04-15-2009 07:49 AM

"buddy sour" is a fixable thing, but indeed what does he do? Try to pull back to the barn or something? It's hard to suggest until you provide more details.

I'm not so sure about "respect" and "being a boss", but you certainly need to build "trust" in him, so when outside he'd consider you as his "lead mare". :-)

appy rider 4 life 04-15-2009 08:56 AM

Okay it is not that i am scared i am just not used to the way Calvin is. When he leaves the pasture is calling to the other horse and he will stop. then whe we have him in the cross ties he gets all tense and spooky, backs up. he has been crossed tied trained. i just have to get used to him.

mls 04-15-2009 10:30 AM

Make him work and repeat, repeat, repeat.

EternalSun 04-15-2009 10:40 AM

Appy rider you just explained my horse to a t. He is unbelievably buddy sour. He'll be in a turnout with a new horse for an hour and they're attached at the hip. I can't tell you how many cross ties he's broken in his crazed panic to get back to his boyfriend. It's fixable but it takes time.

First of all, is there anyway he can be turned out alone? If there is, I'd say thats your best route. If he's lives alone (but he can see other horses), he'll naturally get more independant and get used to being by himself. If he can't be turned out alone, just keep at it. Take him out everyday, even if it's just to handwalk him for an hour. If you can, take his pasturemates out everday for a while so he gets used to both being alone in a turnout and while working. Eventually he will realize it's not the end of the world. With my horse, I do a lot of transitions, backing up, figure eights, bending, anything I can to get his mind off of being away from his pasturemate. He gets worked. By the time we get back to the barn he couldn't care less about where his friend is, he's so tired! Just give it a try, I know it's beyond frusterating but worth it in the end.

hectornikki 04-15-2009 11:04 AM

do as above, especially walking with him, give a pick of grass. spend time with him, get to know him.
Also, if you have a stall, or yard, put him in there loose and spend time with him.
If you don't have the time to do this, then sell him to someone that will.

Curly_Horse_CMT 04-15-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hectornikki (Post 288898)
do as above, especially walking with him, give a pick of grass. spend time with him, get to know him.
Also, if you have a stall, or yard, put him in there loose and spend time with him.
If you don't have the time to do this, then sell him to someone that will.

I dont think that we need to jump to the conclusion that she should just sell him to someone that does have time for him when it seems like she does. She is just asking how she should handle the horse because she is unfamiliar with his buddy sourness.